Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ape-Fish

Whaaaa? grainy feel on worn Studio neck

I tried a Gibson Les Paul Studio 'worn' finish model today. I could feel an un-smoothness to the neck, like i could feel the grain. [confused] I was surprised about that. Is that to be expected on the 'worn' Studio models? If so i might look for a different model. Or might another 'worn' Studio i try feel perfectly smooth?

Wait, you mean the mahogany feels like wood? Unacceptable..! :rolleyes:

It wasn't so grainy on the entire neck... I think the particular guitar i tried might have extra prominent grain channels. I'll have to try a couple other Worn Studios.

I've tried a few and love the raw feel you've described the comes with the Worn Studios neck.

Word. The finish on the back of my neck of my Tribute is wearing off, and that's the way I like it.

I built a Strat recently, and it has no finish on the neck or the body. Boo yah.

Some people don't like this about them. But I own one of them and I like it. It's very raw feeling. Never bothers me. The warn brown will of course chip off easily. But that's what's cool about it in a way. In 10 years even if big chips are gone from it, something about that gives it character.

How about the smoothness of the frets on the worn, and the fret dressing? Is that the same quality as with the more expensive models?

The reason i ask, is because i think i could feel a roughness between fret and string when bending notes on the worn model - but it may have been my imagination... B)

after covering the p'ups (magnets) w/masking tape a nice massage w/ultra fine steel-wool 0000 grade, or green "scruffy" pad will have that neck slicker-n-owl sh... in no time.

that's the beauty of satin necks......

..... i think i could feel a roughness between fret and string when bending notes on the worn model - but it may have been my imagination... B)

That's fairly normal IMX. Gibson rosewood fingerboards typically need quite a few hours play to become smooth as silk.

P.

Word. The finish on the back of my neck of my Tribute is wearing off, and that's the way I like it.

I built a Strat recently, and it has no finish on the neck or the body. Boo yah.

Hello! That's so interesting how individual Tributes age. My becomes more and more glossy - especially the neck. I can see how shiny it is compared to the back of the headstock, which I never touch. Also when I bought the guitar it had a dull greenish gold finish, now it's shiny gold uniformly. I really love this. The fretboard also became kind of smooth and the green color of the inlays disappeared, now they look like pearl.

The photo made nearly a week after I got it:

LPST50WGCH8.jpg

These days:

HPIM2963.jpg

Hope the difference is visible on these photos. Regards... Bence

after covering the p'ups (magnets) w/masking tape a nice massage w/ultra fine steel-wool 0000 grade, or green "scruffy" pad will have that neck slicker-n-owl sh... in no time.

that's the beauty of satin necks......

Thanks Bender. Do you mean i should polish the actual frets, the rosewood fret board, the neck, or all three? I want to be certain i'd do this right.

When I first got my vintage mahogany LP Studio, the first thing I noticed upon playing for the first time was the feel of the neck... Absolutely perfect . Mine is a 2007 and has a 59 style neck, it's the subtle feel of the grain on he neck that really appeals to me... It's much faster than the high gloss finish on my Epi Standard... It makes me feel kinda connected to the guitar and that feeling improves my playing.... So in short I really like that tactility of the grainy neck...

Yup.. I have a 60s Tribute Studio and a LP DC Faded both with those types of necks and I LOVE the way you can feel the wood grain.. Mine are still very smooth and dont cause me any issues and I like the tactile feeling of the grain.. I feel closer to it for that...

I almost totally went off fully finished necks.. But these days im happy with either :)