Gibson Brands Forums

How good are the ES335s?

aquat26

Hi,

I have been learning to play guitar for 12 months. I'm an average guitarist, still learning and hopefully getting better. I am passionate about all old blues and and 60's rock and roll. I'm looking at buying a guitar and out of all that I have seen the ES335 Block Neck appeals the most. I'm looking at buying one that is new and costs about GBP £2700 or US $4300. Are they really worth what to me is a lot of money? I would love to hear personal stories and facts about what makes this guitar better than others.

Thanks.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never owned one, but they are famous for being great guitars with great tone. However, as with many Gibsons, they are quite heftily priced and, dare I say it, probably somewhat overpriced. You might find you can get better value for money on smaller brands and, at £2400, you could probably get a luthier to build you one to your specs. Of course, you wouldn't have the famous Gibson logo on the head, but you might end up with a better value guitar, so different brands are a decision worth considering if you're after a 335. Ultimately, you should try before you buy.

Hi,

I have been learning to play guitar for 12 months. I'm an average guitarist, still learning and hopefully getting better. I am passionate about all old blues and and 60's rock and roll. I'm looking at buying a guitar and out of all that I have seen the ES335 Block Neck appeals the most. I'm looking at buying one that is new and costs about GBP £2700 or US $4300. Are they really worth what to me is a lot of money? I would love to hear personal stories and facts about what makes this guitar better than others.

Thanks.

I don't know what is available in the UK but a previously owned Gibson ES may solve your problem. Most collectors tend to take excellent care of their instruments. Way back when I played professionally I used a ES-335 and later a ES-345. I preferred the 60s neck on the 345 but I wasn't a fan of the varitone. I have both a 335 and a Lucille and enjoy them but I also love my CS-356 and my ES-175! As a new student I think whatever you get you will love. Don't go into a hole financially but get the most guitar you can afford.

I've played GIBSON ES-3XX guitars in Blues, Rock and Soul bands since 1980. A 1976 ES-335 became my main guitar about that time, and 20 years of gigging wore it out. I replaced it with a 2000 built Historic Series ES-345 and couldn't be more satisfied.

You will never be disappointed with a nice GIBSON ES-335, and it will set you apart from the thousands and thousands of LP, SG, Tele, and Strat players.

Hi,

I have been learning to play guitar for 12 months. I'm an average guitarist, still learning and hopefully getting better. [...] I'm looking at buying one that is new and costs about GBP £2700 or US $4300. Are they really worth what to me is a lot of money?

To reformulate the question just a bit and then it: "Are they really worth that much to a novice guitarist who has been playing for 12 months?"

My answer: "No, they are not worth that much to a novice guitarist. That's an incredible sum of money for a novice guitarist to spend."

I don't know about anyone else here, but although I have some very good guitars, they're not what I use as a knock-around guitar, and it's not what bang on when I am just sitting around and need a guitar to bang on, and they're not even guitars that I like to take out the house.

But then again, for me, $4300 buys an investment-grade guitar that is only played on special occasions.

I know other guitarists - and other kinds of musicians too - who have their "daily' instruments, and their best, special occasion instruments.

If you were to take that $4300 and divide it over four guitar, that would be $1075 to spend per instrument - and that's enough to get you four professional quality guitars.

If I had an equivalent sum of money to spend when I started playing guitar more than 40 years ago, I could have gotten 4 or 5 quality guitars; consider that $4300 would buy you the following selection of instruments, all of excellent quality: a single-coil hollowbody archtop, a single-coil solid-body, a humbucker solid-body, and a humbucker thin-line. And they would be enough to last you a lifetime, really.

But then again, you don't even need that if you have only been playing for 12 months.

It would interesting to find out what you think you need and why you need it, or think you need it.

As an alternative view, if you can afford it, and want to treat yourself to something special that will spur you on to work hard at making progress with the guitar, there's no reason not to go for a guitar of this level.

My advice? Take your time, try other guitars as well and maybe as you're still fairly new at this enlist a more knowledgable friend to go round the shops with you. Talk to the guys in the shop, pick a retailer you feel will provide a decent aftersales support in case you have concerns about the instrument after you buy. Forums are great for pointing you in the right direction but you need to get your hands on the guitars and use your own judgement if you want to end up with the right one.

I'd been playing a while by the time I was able to afford my first Gibson, an ES-355, but the pleasure it brought me after a few years of slogging away on cheap, badly set up guitars was immeasurable. I still have that guitar today.

To reformulate the question just a bit and then it: "Are they really worth that much to a novice guitarist who has been playing for 12 months?"

My answer: "No, they are not worth that much to a novice guitarist. That's an incredible sum of money for a novice guitarist to spend."

I don't know about anyone else here, but although I have some very good guitars, they're not what I use as a knock-around guitar, and it's not what bang on when I am just sitting around and need a guitar to bang on, and they're not even guitars that I like to take out the house.

But then again, for me, $4300 buys an investment-grade guitar that is only played on special occasions.

I know other guitarists - and other kinds of musicians too - who have their "daily' instruments, and their best, special occasion instruments.

If you were to take that $4300 and divide it over four guitar, that would be $1075 to spend per instrument - and that's enough to get you four professional quality guitars.

If I had an equivalent sum of money to spend when I started playing guitar more than 40 years ago, I could have gotten 4 or 5 quality guitars; consider that $4300 would buy you the following selection of instruments, all of excellent quality: a single-coil hollowbody archtop, a single-coil solid-body, a humbucker solid-body, and a humbucker thin-line. And they would be enough to last you a lifetime, really.

But then again, you don't even need that if you have only been playing for 12 months.

It would interesting to find out what you think you need and why you need it, or think you need it.

I completely disagree with every single statement made in this post!

When I have a couple hours to waste, I will respond point by point.

Hi,

Thanks.

It's not how long you've been playing that counts. It's your devotion to playing, and your expectations of both yourself and the instrument.

Although I'm a really mediocre guitarist, I love playing high-quality instruments, and believe they do make me want to learn to play better.

I have two ES 335's, and love them. They certainly stand out in a crowd, and they are adaptable to almost any type of electric music.

As far as cost goes, I would look for a used guitar if cost is a serious consideration. At least in the US, new guitars still depreciate, and the best value may be a five- or 10-year-old, well-cared-for guitar.

Like others have already said, check the used market first and make sure you can try before you buy whether it be new or used.

The only problem with this is that you rarely see a used ES335, at least around here, I can't ever recall seeing more than 1 or 2 that have popped up around here over the last few years. People love those guitars, and hardly ever part with them.

I agree with all of these posts. My personal feeling is that if you are committed to continuing, the ES-335 is the most versatile humbucker guitar available with, IMO, the best pickups Gibson makes- the 57 classics. The only caveat is that wherever you get it, make sure there is a good return policy, then take it to a good technician for a set-up and a thorough once over. The rumors of shoddy Gibson QC are not rumors. However, a Gibson with a minimum of flaws is one of the best guitars you can buy.

I don't think it is bad to have a quality instrument as a relative beginner if you are committed. I wish I had had one when I was much younger.

The only problem with this is that you rarely see a used ES335, at least around here, I can't ever recall seeing more than 1 or 2 that have popped up around here over the last few years. People love those guitars, and hardly ever part with them.

That's why God invented ebay. I've bought both my ES 335's on ebay, and have bought other guitars via craigslist.

If I was you I would get one of the Godin 5th Avenues http://www.godinguitars.com/indexlanguage.htm I own quite a few Gibsons such as my pride and joy a 59 reissue Historic ES-335 in faded cherry. However IMHO it would make a whole lot more sense financially to get a guitar such as a Godin 5th Avenue which you can buy brand new for under $1000, AND sounds great and just as importantly PLAYS GREAT also. If you find yourself really getting into the guitar you can then down the line buy a really nice Gibson guitar such as a ES-335 or ES-175 but frankly at this point in time it is not necessary for you to put out $4000 for a Gibson. Silly at this point in time in your development IHMO. Jim in Maine

I completely disagree with every single statement made in [Tablar's] post!

When I have a couple hours to waste, I will respond point by point.

Well, as a purely academic matter, it would have been interesting for me to have seen why you disagree with "every single statement" in my post.

More to the point, it's too bad that you didn't have a couple of hours to "waste" in writing a response, as it might have been helpful to the original poster.

I'm sure you mean well ... but your 'advice' and 'reformulating' the question is quite condescending. Just because the player is a new player, no need to preach aloud and tell him in such a talk down to way that he save his money -- assuming he doesnt need a good guitar -- which, of course, is not for you to say. Kinda sounds like the advice a Mom or Dad would tell you when you were a teenager.

My advice to you is that you should Reformulate others questions a bit less.

To the original poster: Get whatever you want and can afford, kid, and don't take advice from old fogies too seriously.

Hi,

Thanks.

The es-335 is as good as a guitar can get. Yes, it is worth every penny. A good used one that is cheaper is even better!!

I'm sure you mean well ... but your 'advice' and 'reformulating' the question is quite condescending. Just because the player is a new player, no need to preach aloud and tell him in such a talk down to way that he save his money -- assuming he doesnt need a good guitar -- which, of course, is not for you to say. Kinda sounds like the advice a Mom or Dad would tell you when you were a teenager.

To the original poster: Get whatever you want and can afford, kid, and don't take advice from old fogies too seriously.

+1 [thumbup]

Just as a quick note, there's a block neck es335 on British Ebay now for £1900, a few standard dots for less, so shouldn't be too hard to track down a 335 on a budget if you're worried about the cost of a new one. But I still think you need to try a few before making any commitments!

A lot of advice is being handed out on this thread. I certainly wouldn't assume that the OP is a "kid," esp. with access to that kind of dough. $4,000 is a lot of money to most people, and I know people in their 60s who have taken up guitar for the first time.

I think that if you can afford it, get it. You may be a novice now but a Guitar like this will make you want to be a better player. They are superb Guitars, I've got a 2011 Dot re-issue that cost me €2600 and every cent is money well spent. I've owned Les Pauls and SGs but this is the first Gibson that I truly fell in love with. It's incredibly versatile.

It is a hell of an investment for a Guitar but you'll have it for life.

If you look at the original post the fellow said that he has been playing guitar for 12 months. Honestly is it really necessary for a person that has only been playing guitar for 12 months to buy an ES-335 for some $4000 even if money is no object when there are plenty of other guitars out there that will satisfy the learning curve? jim in Maine

Archived