Gibson Brands Forums

How good are the ES335s?

aquat26

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, it had to be a 2010 fat boy in Antique red. I was unaware of the 59 reissue, but they seem to be similar. i cannot find any difference in the specs. But you know what you are doing, and getting the right neck shape is very important. Any one know why the 59 reissue costs more than a Fat Boy?

Guys, can someone tell me here what this guitar is good for? I first heard that its only good for jazz and blues but then read somewhere else that its good for anything except metal (rock n roll, rock, blues jazz, country, pop etc). Is this true? I've played on it for a while in a guitar shop and I liked it; just wished it was a bit more versatile. Still has a great sound though. Is it true you can use this guitar for soft rock, pop, alternative etc?

Also, does any one know the difference between a es 335 dot reissue and a ES335 Block Inlay . Thanx

I agree wit Rock and Reel on this one, why spend such a vast amount of money on a new ES whilst still in your learning infancey mate ( were all still learning, the day that stops your in deep trouble..lol)...Theres some great deals to be done out here in the UK, i see them regularly, theres some great second hand deals to be had and unless its been a regularly gigged example a majority of the guitars may well have had mostly home use...I wanted an ES 335 but found the costs prohibitive, i then found a really nice ES333, not too many if these seen for sale as werent produced for too long but its basically a 335 with a satin finish and different pickups, no pickguard..Mines had the pickups upgraded (before i bought it), a 335 pickguard kit installed and the body polished both by me, and it looks and sounds fantastic...many say these 333's were affecting the 335 sales because they were so good and cheaper and thats why Gibson ceased their production...Obviously i dont know the worth of this but its certainly a thought??? Anyhow mate, back to the point, go see some good second-hand models before you pay top dollar where theres no need....Checkout the private ads as well as some of the good UK stores that sell Gibsons ( Ive used Coda Music in Luton/Stevenage and found them excellent, their website shows new and seecond-hand stock)...Good Luck with your purchase and above all enjoy your guitar..

+1 !

I had a 335, did not really bond with it and sold it. Got a used blonde 333 and this one is great and sounds even better than the 335.

Got myself a 339 then too and am totally in love with this one.

Sometimes it takes time and experience and a bit of money to find out what is right for you.

It's not how long you've been playing that counts. It's your devotion to playing, and your expectations of both yourself and the instrument.

We should start a collection of "best of gibson forums" for things like this sentence.

This is so true it's freaking me out.

Guys, can someone tell me here what this guitar is good for? I first heard that its only good for jazz and blues but then read somewhere else that its good for anything except metal (rock n roll, rock, blues jazz, country, pop etc). Is this true? I've played on it for a while in a guitar shop and I liked it; just wished it was a bit more versatile. Still has a great sound though. Is it true you can use this guitar for soft rock, pop, alternative etc?

Also, does any one know the difference between a es 335 dot reissue and a ES335 Block Inlay . Thanx

Whilst 335's are generally good for songs in the key of A, I have had trouble getting them to agree to play songs in E. Certainly would be good if they were more versatile.

As a matter of fact, the 335 with it's 2 humbuckers is especially unsuited to heavy metal. The attached Fender amp is not very good for metal either.

A friend told me a long time ago (probably ca. 1982): "always buy gear you can gig with. You'll grow into it, and when it's time to move on, you'll get more for it."

I had a similar discussion with my stepson's father, who questioned why, as a classic guitar student, he needed a custom-made nylon string from a local luthier who had made a gorgeous steel string acoustic for me. I told him that it would always be worth more than he paid for it, and that having a quality guitar meant not wasting his time (as many of us have) trying to learn complex technique on a substandard instrument, with the concomitant poor action and sound.

Another issue: I bought this perfect '00 ES-335 from craigslist for $1750US in 2009:

GibsonES-335-1.jpg

Hi,

I have been learning to play guitar for 12 months. I'm an average guitarist, still learning and hopefully getting better. I am passionate about all old blues and and 60's rock and roll. I'm looking at buying a guitar and out of all that I have seen the ES335 Block Neck appeals the most. I'm looking at buying one that is new and costs about GBP £2700 or US $4300. Are they really worth what to me is a lot of money? I would love to hear personal stories and facts about what makes this guitar better than others.

Thanks.

I've owned my vintage 335 since 1974. 'Mr Gibson' as I've nicknamed him is a far better guitar than I am a guitar player. The nickname is out of respect for all the Kalamazoo Michigan craftsmen, luthiers and parts manufacturers who had a hand in making it during the "golden years" of Gibson most critics say ended in 1964.

If a new 335 or custom shop 335 is even half as well made as mine, which I'm sure they are if not more, I can assure you that it would be a guitar that will last for years to come. Most importantly it will inspire you to greater heights of playing then where you are at now only playing 12 months I can assure you.

So knowing what I know as a vintage owner I can say to you, GO FOR IT!

Rock on dude!

Hi,

I have been learning to play guitar for 12 months. I'm an average guitarist, still learning and hopefully getting better. I am passionate about all old blues and and 60's rock and roll. I'm looking at buying a guitar and out of all that I have seen the ES335 Block Neck appeals the most. I'm looking at buying one that is new and costs about GBP £2700 or US $4300. Are they really worth what to me is a lot of money? I would love to hear personal stories and facts about what makes this guitar better than others.

Thanks.

PS: mine is a '64 appraised and insured

I dont believe all good guitars are created equal .

The ES 335 of Gibson most likely the very best guitar ever made .

I love that "tube" avitar of yours and I pretty much agree with you but perhaps maybe only in the Gibson family of guitars. I tend to have an open mind that there are many great types, models and makes of guitars for all musical genres.

The following comest to mind:

As an example the D'Angelica "New Yorker". When I was 11 just starting taking guitar lessons my instructor who was a jazz player always said to me "learn good technique and music notations thru jazz you can play anything, anything".

I marveled at that New Yorker he came to the house with every week to give me lessons. It was a peice of Deco artwork with a full rich sound when played acousticly during my lessons. Each note had a crisp quality and chords sounded like, well a chorus.

Years later in my early 20's after getting married I sought him out to resume lessons and when I had him on the phone he told me that he did a Woody Herman. That is he gave up playing and sold that New Yorker admitting to me he regretting selling his New Yorker and when he had the urge to play now and then the guitar that replaced that New Yorker just didn't do it for him. Woody Herman as I recall on a Tonight Show airing with Johnny Carson said when he gave up playing he made a lamp out of his claranet. I can't imagine the emotional turmoil my guitar teacher and Woody Herman went thru to bring them to stop playing. I never could do that no matter what would be going on in my life. I don't play professionally only for personal fullfilment and enjoyment.

My repretoire consists of mainly blues, blues rock, traditional blues and occaisionally figuring out by ear a contemporary peice that moves me. Avril Lavigne, Train or even Dido within the past few years? You betcha!

Of course my 335 is perfect for the electric blues music I play.

I resisted most of his advice except for technique and here I am many years later still doing the simple exercises when I warm up before playing. All four fingers on the fret board with up and down picking as one of them. Typical jazz progression chord runs too. It warms my hands up and if a few days goes or a week goes by without playing it just all comes back to me like I just put the guitar down an hour ago by doing those exercises.

Sorry and to go back on topic, the 335 is indeed a great guitar of many great types of guitars, Gibson or what ever other manufacturer and luthier can create in my opinion.

Cheers everyone!

Archived