Gibson Brands Forums

New EJ 160 E on the way

brixa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

thanx for liking the picture of my guitar is my only concern is what is the perfect machine head tuners for replacement is the tonepros tpk33 fit? i don't want to drill or rim the peg holes, what is the exact size of the tuners of the epiphone ej-160e?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the string advice. Here's the 'fab' new arrival.

2012 Indonesian model. Set up from the box was perfect. Had to stretch the strings and re-plug the pegs and that was it. Good to have it back again!

she's a beauty! I also own a 2012 Indonesian model. Mine has a black bridge, what color is yours? Hard to tell from the picture...

• 5 months later...

I´m sorry, it´s a stupid question, but is the guitar worth the money? I´m thinking about buying the guitar in the next weeks, i´m not sure. Can I use it with a normal electric guitar amp? I have the Vox VT20+ amp. Is it possible? And how is the sound unplugged? At the moment I have a cheap no name Jumbo from amazon and I´m not satisfied with it after three years.

I´m sorry, it´s a stupid question, but is the guitar worth the money? I´m thinking about buying the guitar in the next weeks, i´m not sure. Can I use it with a normal electric guitar amp? I have the Vox VT20+ amp. Is it possible? And how is the sound unplugged? At the moment I have a cheap no name Jumbo from amazon and I´m not satisfied with it after three years.

Hi Fan,

I have both the EJ-160E & a Gibson Fuller reissue 1962 J-160E. Totally different guitars, totally different price tags. I had the EJ first & decided I liked the notion. I only play as electric guitar (that doesn't mean I never play them unplugged as I play all my electrics unplugged from time to time when it's just practice/fun time). The EJ needs some "fixes" IMHO. One is a grounding system for the strings/bridge area like the J has (at least my J reissue has). Really make the hum reduction happen!! You may or may not received one with a good P100 PUP. Mine came with really low crappy output. Epi/Gibson paid their warranty station (one in my city) to replace and they added the grounding part on my dime. $50) I had them set it up as well. Really a nice player and I can get kind of Beatles sound (really, probably, maybe, good enough). I then decided to spring for the Gibson Reissue (not the catalog version). The old version with ply wood top & ladder braces. Love that sound.

Yes, play it thru an Electric Guitar amp, as it has an electric guitar PUP. I play it thru a Vox AC15C1 & love that chimmy sound it offers. I do love The Beatles music to play & listen to so that's just me. You can do just fine with an EJ. Don't just settle for one. I went thru I think 5-6 of them till I found a decent one. Then I had the work done and it's worth the money. I have about $650-$750 w/case in mine with repairs & upgrades. That's a lot better than $2600 for the Fuller Reissue unless you don't mind the extra $$. Is it worth the extra $$. To me, hell yes!! [biggrin] Couldn't be much happier with it (unless I could play it like John or George did)! [flapper]

Aster

Archived