Gibson Brands Forums

gibson L1 robert johnson.. e bay

VOODOOVENDOR

It's an arch top, rather than a flattop Gibson. As a result, it will sound much different than the flattops that Johnson played.

JT is right on the money. A lot of eBay sellers call the L-1 archtop a "Robert Johnson" model hoping to get higher bids, but as far as we know, RJ never played an archtop guitar. Only the flat-top L-1 of c1928. Gibson discontiued the L-1 archtop around 1924, but the same body molds and forms were used to make the L-1 & L-0 flat-tops as they were the same size. For some strange reason Gibson re-used the same model name. Leads to a lot of confusion.

JT is right on the money. A lot of eBay sellers call the L-1 archtop a "Robert Johnson" model hoping to get higher bids, but as far as we know, RJ never played an archtop guitar. Only the flat-top L-1 of c1928. Gibson discontiued the L-1 archtop around 1924, but the same body molds and forms were used to make the L-1 & L-0 flat-tops as they were the same size. For some strange reason Gibson re-used the same model name. Leads to a lot of confusion.

hi ..thanks for the info..just got so much to learn thanks.. so what year would you put this guitar at..apparently you cant see it on the label?? vv

It's also not clear as to whether Robert Johnson actually owned the Gibson L1 he is pictured with. Some folks speculate it may have been provided to him at the photo studio were the portrait was taken.

Robert-Johnson-292x300.jpg

Apparently the guitar in the photo below is a Kalamazoo model and according to Johnny Shines this was the guitar favored by Robert Johnson.

rob05.gif

hi ..thanks for the info..just got so much to learn thanks.. so what year would you put this guitar at..apparently you cant see it on the label?? vv

1918 ish. give or take on the year...

1918 ish. give or take on the year...

thanks for the response ... slimt .. how can you date this at 1918..???? anybody think this is the right money for this modell...?????

i think the kalamazoo kh 11 or 14 in the other pic..they say his suit for the pic was borrowed too!! fascinating stuff ...

I think viewing the condition of this.. what its bid at now is about right.. I wouldnt go any higher. . The only thing going for it is it has its Pickguard and proper tail piece, and Non adjustable bridge . ( Non Original case)

Ive sold clean examples of this Style in the 1400.00 U.S range.. as for the date.. (The Gibson) on the Peg head, No truss rod .. and the Color. and parts . would make it 1922 or earlier.. the 1918 is kind of a in between Year without knowing the serial Number.

I think viewing the condition of this.. what its bid at now is about right.. I wouldnt go any higher. . The only thing going for it is it has its Pickguard and proper tail piece, and Non adjustable bridge . ( Non Original case)

Ive sold clean examples of this Style in the 1400.00 U.S range.. as for the date.. (The Gibson) on the Peg head, No truss rod .. and the Color. and parts . would make it 1922 or earlier.. the 1918 is kind of a in between Year without knowing the serial Number

wow you got some knowledge there slimt.. ive never even seen one before in the uk.! anyway would you say this is a good one..sounds like it hasnt got too much going for it!its a bit worrying saying its got a split in the seam! mmm is the only id serial number on the label only way to date these..tuners are they original.. gotta say it looks cooll

Archived