Gibson Brands Forums

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers guitars were jacked!

charlie brown

Mike Campbell is a collector of vintage guitars too. Could have been worse for him. Those were some gems as well, though. Man, that's messed up.

Yep, my first thought when I read the thread title was that Mike bought a '59 Les Paul not that long ago (a year or a little more?), and I was afraid it might've been in there. A quarter million dollar guitar would be devastating to lose, even to someone of means.

I'm with CB, I hate thieves.

But reading the list, I am sure there is a lot of sentimental connection to those that were grabbed, and they were certainly not inexpensive. The Broadcaster is likely the most valuable, at probably somewhere between 50K and 100K. Truth be told, they probably were afraid to offer a much larger reward (which I am certain they could easily have done), as not wanting to tip off anyone with knowledge of the crime how really valuable some of the guitars were.

LOL!

While I no longer partake, I know from whence I speak.

[scared] Did you hear that?

Glad you understand the sense of humor that comes with it.....

over the last ten years of playing/going to shows and the rise of the "social network" sites, tales of thievery becomes much more common.

I don't drink, or chase skirts any more being married and all, At out of town gigs I will let the boys run, and "Bird dog" the gear.

that way every one has a good time and no one steals our Shite.

To me, that it sounds possible it was an inside job is disturbing.

Years ago, (mid 80s) I was in an outfit that co-rented space with a few other bands. We all had our own areas, but it was pretty easy to move from one rental area to another. At one time, there was a rash of break-ins and a lot of guys were reporting things missing. We felt we were pretty lucky, that none of our stuff had been effected till we found out it was one of the guys in our band that was doing it! (you're kidding me right??)

Of course, we canned him immediately, and working with the local PD, arranged that all of the equipment he still had was to be returned, some of it was unrecoverable. We were kind of stunned, this guy seemed to be a very spiritual / religious person, and we had known him for years (we were not a christian band, he was just always mentioning things about his faith). Sort of blew us away when the truth was out.

The kicker was - he took one of the guitars (a dean explorer) to a local music store, (after spray painting it a different color, duh!) The guy who ran the store was the only Dean registered dealer around and this one was a special order, he recognized it immediately. Of course, you all know how it is, we all knew these guys from these other bands, all of us were local players. Talk about the brown stinky stuff hitting the fan, at the time, we were a fairly widely known and popular band in our area. Stuff like that can get around, and everyone's reputation can be damaged from it. That was the end of my friendship with him as well, "you're out, and it's over, stay away from me..."

That's good news, AXE...thanks, for posting. It will be interesting, to see "who" did it,

and WTF he was thinking???! [cursing] ...If, they ever print that?

CB

+1. I'll listen for any announcements on the local news tonight as well.

It's not often that stolen guitars are recovered at all, let alone within a few days. I wonder if they were intact. Smells a little like a publicity stunt. And it worked, 'cause I'm gonna try to see 'em if the come to they west coast.

Considering that they ran out of gas in '87, it might not be such a bad thing.

For some reason I'm thinking there is more to this story than meets the eye. Maybe Tom and The Band are so much in debt that they got their instruments repossessed. With the economy being the way it is and people loosing their houses, not finding work, I don't exactly feel like it's the end of the world for Petty and the 'Breakers. The rule of thumb is to always live within your means.

[thumbdn]

](*,)

[-X

I've had my van broken into twice and all my tools stolen. It's heartbreaking. The things you've worked for just taken.

We have to remember that these people are as human as us and their tools have been taken. awful.

I've had my van broken into twice and all my tools stolen. It's heartbreaking. The things you've worked for just taken.

We have to remember that these people are as human as us and their tools have been taken. awful.

You must have missed AXE's update.

Archived