Gibson Brands Forums

Oh no! It's started already.

newpicker

I have a problem. I get excited about something and I can't help myself. I just started with lessons 3 weeks ago after a "lifetime" of putting kids through college and I embarked on my lifelong dream of learning the guitar. I signed up, went to my local GC and bought a LP Satin Ebony Studio '60s. It's a great guitar but I kept eyeing the SG. Well, went back Saturday and got her. She is so hot and she smells soooo nice. Addicted after only 3 weeks - I'm in trouble. The pic is not great. Can't stop shaking.

post-42268-041872800 1334509174_thumb.jpg

hate to say, but as of now there is no know medical cure for G.A.S.

let's hope there never is.....

[flapper]

Congrats, SG's are the best.

GAS-That's funny. Next is to replace the VoxVT40 I've had for three weeks. Guess I need a Marshall tube to go with my SG. Thanks for the congrats.

GAS-That's funny. Next is to replace the VoxVT40 I've had for three weeks. Guess I need a Marshall tube to go with my SG. Thanks for the congrats.

Well my friend welcome to the wonderfully expensive world of guitars... Can't go wrong with the sg... I do not even want to think about all of the money spent... Hahaha

It's only gear.... Have fun...

Congrats indeed. And for what it's worth, I've been playing for 25 years, and the Vox VT40 (now with upgraded Celestion) is my daily player. Every bit as good as most contemporary Marshalls, IMVHO.

I needed to hear that from someone with your experience. The VT40 was recommended by GC and it does sound great and they could have sold me anything that day. Do not really need anything else.

Thanks

I needed to hear that from someone with your experience. The VT40 was recommended by GC and it does sound great and they could have sold me anything that day. Do not really need anything else.

Thanks

Yes fellow gibsonite... You do not need a Marshall.. That vox will do just great. Switching the speaker will make it sound a lot better.

However..... After playing for 28 yrs experience has told me to get what you want though.. Because sooner or later sometimes many amps/ guitars/ monies later.. You are going to get it.. So if you have the cash.... Hahaha.. Stimulate the economy... I always do...

I have a problem. I get excited about something and I can't help myself. I just started with lessons 3 weeks ago after a "lifetime" of putting kids through college and I embarked on my lifelong dream of learning the guitar. I signed up, went to my local GC and bought a LP Satin Ebony Studio '60s. It's a great guitar but I kept eyeing the SG. Well, went back Saturday and got her. She is so hot and she smells soooo nice. Addicted after only 3 weeks - I'm in trouble. The pic is not great. Can't stop shaking.

Newpicker, first of all welcome to the forum and all the crazy guitar players you have to converse with. Congrats on your new SG Standard. I bought one a year ago and I love it. Keep it stock for a while (a lot of these guys like/love to

do mods, i.e. modifications to their guitars looking for the almighty tone); I did and I love it just the way it is. The SG Standard is a beautiful guitar im more ways than looks. Best of luck...Paul

Congratulations on the new SG!!!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

The SG is simply the easiest playing guitar there is, IMHO. There's nothing else like it. Don't get me wrong, I equally love my LP, but I have more fun with my SG.

HNGD, and enjoy it!!!!

Congratulations on the new SG!!!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

The SG is simply the easiest playing guitar there is, IMHO. There's nothing else like it. Don't get me wrong, I equally love my LP, but I have more fun with my SG.

HNGD, and enjoy it!!!!

I am real happy with my choice. Actually cover her up when not playing to keep the dust off. I will buy a Les Paul and probably an ES at some point. Already got a few friends ready to make their first buys, Gibsons of course.

Hey nice axe there you have and congrats on that. I would hold off on getting rid of that VT Vox too. I have the AD50VT 2-12 version and it is a great amp with plenty of power that is very versatile also. I would stick with it for a while unless you just have to have something else(at least until you get to know how to lay and want to expland your sound). There is not a thing wrong with that Vox amp you got. Tim

Hey nice axe there you have and congrats on that. I would hold off on getting rid of that VT Vox too. I have the AD50VT 2-12 version and it is a great amp with plenty of power that is very versatile also. I would stick with it for a while unless you just have to have something else(at least until you get to know how to lay and want to expland your sound). There is not a thing wrong with that Vox amp you got. Tim

Thanks for the advice. With everyone's praise of the Vox, I am fully confident that I have all I need for now. Will fight the "I want more" thing.

Thanks for the advice. With everyone's praise of the Vox, I am fully confident that I have all I need for now. Will fight the "I want more" thing.

It is OK to want more too you know!!!! That is how I went through all of the stuff I played to get to the SG standard also. Have had some I wished I kept but can't say I have had a guitar I like any better than my current SG. Tim

Good luck, new guy. My advice-stop drinking, smoking and gambling, and tell your wife that guitars are your only vice...not much of a defense, but better than nothing, and stopping all those things frees up money to persue your REAL addiction...

Sorry to tell you, there ain't no cure for the summertime blues...

I have over 20 guitars, one more coming Friday, and maybe a few more in the works...I have had this "problem" since the mid 1960's.

Just enjoy it...

mark

added I recently got a '99 SG Special...amazing guitars!

Good luck, new guy. My advice-stop drinking, smoking and gambling, and tell your wife that guitars are your only vice...not much of a defense, but better than nothing, and stopping all those things frees up money to persue your REAL addiction...

Sorry to tell you, there ain't no cure for the summertime blues...

I have over 20 guitars, one more coming Friday, and maybe a few more in the works...I have had this "problem" since the mid 1960's.

Just enjoy it...

mark

added I recently got a '99 SG Special...amazing guitars!

Know what you mean. Been looking at some acoustics lately but will research for a while before my next buy. Will be hard to top the SG feeling.

Congrats on the new SG! Gotta love how they feel in your hands great guitar. I too didn't start playing guitar until I was already in my 40's. The only advice I can give you on that front is the more hours you spend playing your new found friend everyday the faster you will progress. Be patient and keep with it. You will be impressing yourself and others in short order and most importantly just have a blast.

Peace and Keep On Rockin!

Rewd.

• 10 months later...

Need? Not necessarily.

Want? more apt.

I do have to say however, I have my dream Marshall (Hand Wired reissued 1959 Plexi .)

and I have to say nothing in the world is more aurally pleasing than that particular combination of guitar and amp.

I say go for it if it is within the budget, you won't be displeased in the slightest.

if you are looking to conserve space I would go with the HW JMT 45 combo reissue, a little easier to tame than it's 100 watt big brother.

Congrats and welcome to the club. I have to agree, if you have the budget, go for it. There's a lot worse thinngs you can do with your hard-earned money. It is a bit of an addiction, but it (usually) doesn't hurt anyone. And the other piece of wisdom I saw in this thread is, if you want it and you can afford it, get it. If you don't, you'll end up doing 82 different, maybe cheaper things getting there and just cost yourself more money. If you do it outright, you know up front whether it was right or not. If you like it, win, if not, sell it off.

Archived