Gibson Brands Forums

My SG has Developed an Issue.

Dougefresh91

I drove back down to the repair shop today. The repairman said it will be covered under the warranty. Hooray! He said Gibson puts too thin a coat on these types of guitars, and sometimes it just wears off(I was so happy I didn't think to inquire further about why this had happened, or if it's common). They are going to refinish the back of the neck with a thicker coat and re-satin it(if Gibson says it's OK(?), otherwise it will be shipped out). I'm really relieved. In a month filled with bad luck I thought for sure it was going to cost me. I was actually about five minutes from the shop when I realized I put the guitar in the gig back that doesn't have the receipt and warranty in it. [cursing] Luckily I don't need to show that to them until I pick the guitar up. *phew* I'm sure the marks were not from the guitar stand as he said they were down to bare wood(and they're too spread out), but I think I will put a towel on it in the future, just to be safe.

Now I'll be stuck playing my Epi in the meantime. I will have to hunt down some 0000 steel wool as my G-400 definitely has sticky neck syndrome. I'm looking forward to fixing that issue, as then maybe I can do something interesting (P-90's maybe) to that guitar to make it worth picking up again. [thumbup]

READ the threads, guys!

It MIGHT be the repair facility has found the guitar to be lacking, other than "user damage", and worthy of fixing.

I bet a few mins on the buffing wheel would solve it.... The Epi that is.

Also, some decent guitar polish and a heavy rub down with usually handle it. I get that on my Gibson SG or LP... someimtes the necks just need a good buff. Any guitar with finished neck gets this from me at every string change.

The Gibson you have looks to be a "Satin" finish... thinner nitro finish that doesn't get buffed to sheen... wearing through is a possibility.

Archived