Gibson Brands Forums

Yes They Are The Eggmen

J.R.M.30!

I did a previous topic on songwriters, critical of the Beatles, and I'd like to add that I define a good song as one that is not a pipedream or one that seems like it's a play on holding the carrot in front of the horse deal. A good song goes into detail about what one wants to achieve, somthing that tells information about the character (s)situations and deals with real everyday people not just dealing with a topic that one thinks an infant would especially appreciate (luv) lol. [razz] I think Bob Dylan got it right saying the Beatles didn't sing about "s*@!.

I think that in today's world over 40 years after their breakup, current musicians and songwriters still cite The Beatles as major influences in their music, speaks volumes about the songwriting capabilities of the Beatles.Ever since they first appeared on the scene they have been lauded by not only their peers but some of the world's foremost classically trained musicians as brilliant songwriters.When a large proportion of the most respected composers of music in the world regard The Beatles as the epitome of songwriters I take way more creedence in that than the odd critique by people who most likely put them down to get a rise out of people who appreciate their music as being great.

I did a previous topic on songwriters, critical of the Beatles, and I'd like to add that I define a good song as one that is not a pipedream or one that seems like it's a play on holding the carrot in front of the horse deal. A good song goes into detail about what one wants to achieve, somthing that tells information about the chararter (s)and deals with real everyday people not just dealing with infant wantings (luv). :P I think Bob Dylan got it right saying the Beatles didn't sing about "s*@!.

all right.... this has gone on a bit too often with your threads, and now it's starting to appear you're just stirring the pot :rolleyes: .... One more thread about how you dislike the Beatles, and I'm gonna merge them all in to one thread

comprende????

all right.... this has gone on a bit too often with your threads, and now it's starting to appear you're just stirring the pot :rolleyes: .... One more thread about how you dislike the Beatles, and I'm gonna merge them all in to one thread

comprende????

Right on Duane, the Beatles are the reason all else has followed; Say no more!!!

Right on Duane, the Beatles are the reason all else has followed; Say no more!!!

My grandsons aged 12 and 6 are huge Beatles fans. They have been exposed to a very wide range of music but the Beatles prevail. That says a lot about the impact of the Beatles regardless of what some disgruntled contrarian might say.

I did a previous topic on songwriters, critical of the Beatles, and I'd like to add that I define a good song as one that is not a pipedream or one that seems like it's a play on holding the carrot in front of the horse deal. A good song goes into detail about what one wants to achieve, somthing that tells information about the chararter (s)and deals with real everyday people not just dealing with infant wantings (luv). :P I think Bob Dylan got it right saying the Beatles didn't sing about "s*@!.

Your definition is wrong but thanks for stopping by.msp_thumbup.gif

...I define a good song as one that is not a pipedream or one that seems like it's a play on holding the carrot in front of the horse deal. A good song goes into detail about what one wants to achieve, somthing that tells information about the chararter (s)and deals with real everyday people not just dealing with infant wantings (luv). :P I think Bob Dylan got it right saying the Beatles didn't sing about "s*@!.

1. a song is an art-form and a form of communication made up of melody, harmony, rhythm, lyrics, and form

2. We can say a song is good when it achieves its purpose as defined by the artist

3. Central to the idea of a good song is the song’s purpose. A song is meant to be listened to. Therefore, the mind of the listener is taken into consideration and used as inspiration while writing and making final decisions. Songs do not exist in a vacuum. If, when your song is listened to, the proper listener response is elicited, then you can say you have written a good song.

4. I believe that Bob was talking about there being no political/social content to early Beatles songs. He felt that with their drawing power, they should have been more socially conscience, and made a bigger impact on the times.

What I find sad is the incredibly narrow, blinkered wiew JRM has of music (apparently).

If his taste in literature and the visual arts is equally narrow the OP is going to miss out on a great deal of the most wonderful achievements of Mankind.

But hey; "You can lead a horse to water...."

P.

Guest farnsbarns

I don't like the Beatles much but rest assured, that's just a subjective mater of taste. I'm not going to try to convince you all there is some logical or scientific reason that they aren't good. That would be staggeringly arrogant, Like the OP! B)

I think that it is arrogant to think that the Beatles are the "Big Bang" of music. To not acknowledge what's come before is narrow minded in my opinion. Yes they were very succesful but song content was not there best suit. How can you argue otherwise when Sir Paul McCartney downplays song content in saying that he "I didn't know the songs were about anything"!

Anyone who has followed any of The Beatles dealings with the media knows that they loved toying with their interviewers and Sir Paul's comments were said with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek.I don't think that anyone has expressed an opinion that there wasn't any good music before the Beatles,that's just you putting your own spin on things just to be argumentive-yet again.I'm sure that everyone here respects the music of Buddy Holly,Carl Perkins,Ike Turner,Gene Vincent,Chuck Berry,Duane Eddy and countless others.

What the Beatles did was take the music industry out of the slump that it had been in for a couple of years and more or less started a musical Renaissance that became know as the British Invasion.There is absolutely no denying that The Beatles were the vanguardjoyclassical s of the British Invasion, music historians are pretty unanimous on that point.

BTW there are also people here who enjoy classical music which came long before The Beatles et al and I am among them.I have well over 200 CDs of Mozart alone plus a lot of Bach,Beethoven,Chopin,Paganini,Puccini,Rachmaninov and dozens of others.

Your posts would be a lot more credible if you quoted what people actually said rather than fabricate statements and attribute them to others who have posted or by twisting things people say so much that they end up meaning the opposite of what someone actually said or the intended meaning.Now please crawl back under your bridge.

I think that it is arrogant to think that the Beatles are the "Big Bang" of music. To not acknowledge what's come before is narrow minded in my opinion. Yes they were very succesful but song content was not there best suit. How can you argue otherwise when Sir Paul McCartney downplays song content in saying that he "I didn't know the songs were about anything"!

You have way too much time on your hands. How can anybody with any worth or responsibility take any time out of their lives to write stupid threads as this? Obviously you are holding grudges with people in this forum and you have nothing better to do with your time than to troll. I bet you spend even more time making computer viruses too. [lol]

You are now on ignore so I don't have to read anymore of your nonsense.

I like the Stones better than the Beatles, you'd best not start raggin' on Keef. [-X

Archived