Gibson Brands Forums

My Del Oro Project (1940's)

duane v

I've had this guitar for about two years and it was missing a tuner gear and screw (which I now found). And a floating bridge for a flat surface [thumbup]

I'm looking forward to seeing it played!

Going on the 'trickiest part' from my recent experience getting my own 1940's f-hole archtop back playable...

How's the neck for relief, Duane? I notice it doesn't appear to have an adjustable truss-rod. As long as it's true enough you shouldn't have too many problems getting it up and running. If it's bowed badly then a luthier should be able to level the 'board for you.

Best of luck!

P.

Looks awesome Duane....if u dont mind me askin,how do u go about knowing 'exactly' where the floating bridge goes?Do u go off measurements and then tweak it w/ a tuner going off intonation? Look forward to seeing/hearing it strung up.

Cool guitar,

Does it even have a truss rod? most nylon-string guiitars don't.

mikekefr, to set the bridge you woul measure the distance from the 12th fret to the nut, then form that same spot to where the bridge would be located, that's the scale length.Then you go by intonation.

I'm looking forward to seeing it played!

Going on the 'trickiest part' from my recent experience getting my own 1940's f-hole archtop back playable...

How's the neck for relief, Duane? I notice it doesn't appear to have an adjustable truss-rod. As long as it's true enough you shouldn't have too many problems getting it up and running. If it's bowed badly then a luthier should be able to level the 'board for you.

Best of luck!

P.

Actually the neck relief is quite good considering the lack of a truss rod and the lack of thickness to the neck. I think it will be fine.

Cool guitar,

Does it even have a truss rod? most nylon-string guiitars don't.

mikekefr, to set the bridge you woul measure the distance from the 12th fret to the nut, then form that same spot to where the bridge would be located, that's the scale length.Then you go by intonation.

I'm going to start by positioning the bridge the same distance as my other Archtop, and I'll go from there.

Is it made out of solid wood or just laminate?

I believe it's a solid piece

i think it's a babalonian counterfeit!

just kidding...

Mr.D., that's a guitar full of possibilities!

btw, if you ever need an odd sized/thread/headed screw, send me a discription.....

i've got literally gallon jugs full of antique gun screws that i'm sure at least one would match up.....

they're sitting & wasting, so i'd rather someone that can use it have it.

that goes for ALL my GibEpi brethren/sisters.

Archived