Gibson Brands Forums

Video: J45 vs. D18, 3 rounds - who wins?

Plainsman

I apologize if this has been posted here before, I just ran across it. Great video, who do you think wins?

I give round 1 to Gibson, round 2 to Martin, and round 3 to Gibson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYPQZCL-Roo&feature=related

its been here before , close call , both lovely guitars

one of the members , can't remember who :-s , now owns that very j45 !

I own that J45!

msp_biggrin.gif

How cool is it to have a famous accoustic [thumbup] .

Or do you recon he say's that to every one that buys a 45 [flapper] .

Only joking, as I've said before she is a real sweet sounding lady and IMO there no comparison between the 2.

I'd have to pick the J45. Not because I own one, but because to my ears it has the sound that is more appealing to me. The D18 was a bit too bright sounding for me in some places. Also, I think the Gibson had just as much bottom as the Martin. Both are nice guitars and I could enjoy either of them. [thumbup]

Well as usuall the J45 didn't impress me. Always sound choked and subdued to me. The Martin sounds wild and free. But my Kentuckian heart and a ear for bluegrass digs that big sound. Took a Advanced Jumbo to get me on the Gibson bandwagon. J45 still a very nice guitar, just don't fit my needs I guess

The D18: The high end is strong, too strong for the low end. And something else bothers me about the low end on the D18 - it waffles a bit, especially in chords.

The J45 has a nicely balanced sound, giving it something I've always admired about the J45 - versatility.

To my ear the winner - J45

Archived