Gibson Brands Forums

I went out to buy a Hummingbird....

ParlourMan

Yes, I went out to buy a Hummingbird last week, I figured it was all that was missing from my Gibson collection... I'm not a huge collection-builder as such and it's not every model that appeals to me anyway. Anyway I landed home on Friday with it, but I was headed off for the weekend so I wasn't home long enough to prep a post about it... Sadly no pics as yet as I'm outside having a ciggie whilst on a break at work. I'll update the thread later with a little bit of blah-blah too.

So,

Now I can post a little on it.... as you will see a bird still eludes me... of those I've tried my honest to goodness favourite was actually an older model with the dreaded adjustable bridge, insta-Keef... The Std's I found to be decent guitars but not what I was looking for on the day.... The TV, great strummer, looks great, vivid colour, yes very nice, but not what I wanted either...

so... here we go.....

c320480f.jpg

9550394b.jpg

fe20367b.jpg

Yes, a Gibson J-50... a rather different animal than my Woody... despite the similarities.

bab48a43.jpg

344c391f.jpg

and I was presented with this too.....

9726f6e5.jpg

So, the 'bird is still out there... until the day we meet this understated gorgeous plain jane of a girl will mean I can do a little bit more open/alternate tuned stuff with the woody at gigs.

Not what ye's were expecting, huh? Me neither.... but what a box! Absolutely wicked!

PM, you playin' funny buggers ... now, that was a surprise !

I played only one J-50 and have to say it was very different to other J-45's. Very soft and very mellow, maybe it was just that specific model.

But still, two same model guitars in the same stable strikes me *** a bit odd.

So how does it differ from the Woody ?

PM, you playin' funny buggers ... now, that was a surprise !

You're telling me, surprise to me too! But gotta roll with the ears haven't you?

I played only one J-50 and have to say it was very different to other J-45's. Very soft and very mellow, maybe it was just that specific model.

Hmm, perhaps mines has anger management problems, bit of an AJ temperament, nice and mellow while you're tickling it... a bit vocal when you play rough!

But still, two same model guitars in the same stable strikes me *** a bit odd.

So how does it differ from the Woody ?

Not at all, EA, as I've said many times the Woody is my main gigging guitar, as much as I do love the SJ and got it gig equipped, I'm not without my reservations about taking a 4KEuro guitar out to pubs & clubs. The K&K voicing is also a bit softer than the active LRBags job, so this is different enough from the Woody, just a different sound... The Keb Mo is sometimes used by my singer as well, and as much as I enjoy my 12-fretters, 14-fretters make better all-rounders and the slope body gives a bigger bark. For leads and stuff I need that. For the setup I'm in it makes more sense.

Yes, there are similarities, but yes they're different enough in sound to give me two gigging guitars with tonal differences. The similar setups that means I don't need to fuss with the amp when switching. (The K&K requires a good bit more of the volume channel).

From a comfort factor the slope is my preferred shape too, while I'm not a small guy at over 6foot, I play a lot on the sofa, the slope gives you more comfort from the off. The "honey-glaze" is all well and good but what it had in mellowness it lacked in brut-force. If I'm honest half the lure is the look, they do look fabulous, that pickguard is a real stunner, but faced with a tasty pickguard in a less comfortable box than usual that didn't growl at me or taking yet another look at the angry blonde who was comfortable to hold and feisty to the touch. It became clear I'd be an idiot to pay 3k for a pickguard.

It doesn't come with the vintage style tuners I prefer, it doesn't come with any fancy appointments, no banner etc... yet I still wasn't willing to leave without it. That mightn't speak to everyone, but it speaks to me. From a gigging perspective (which is the intention for this guitar) it got down to a no-brainer situation. Several days later, no wind-down, no buyers remorse, no whiff of a second thought and the birds I played haven't crossed my mind at all. Overall a great sounding and ultimately replaceable guitar and a fat wad of cash still in my pocket, I'm considering it a WIN!

Wow -- that WAS a surprise ending! I've had a number of Hummingbirds over the years too, and really like the ones from about the 2003/4 period to now. Of course, you have to audition them, as they can be different from model to model and between individual examples. You might find that a "standard" sounds better than a "True Vintage", for example.

Anyhow, welcome to the J-50 club.

I got one of these too, last year, at Music Villa, just down the street from the Gibson plant in Bozeman:

IMGP9774.jpg

I have to say that, as much as I like its sound, I find it a bit brasher than my Sheryl Crow model, which -- more or less -- is the same guitar "under the hood" as the venerable Hummingbird.

The J-50 is a bit more in-your-face, with lots of raw power and well-defined bass. The SC/CW model is a little warmer and a bit more "refined" perhaps. Don't know if that is the essence of the "round vs square" shoulders sound (probably isn't) but that's what I come up with.

Congrats on your J-50!

Fred

Fair enough PM, makes sense. Was just wondering though isn't the J-50 essentially same price as the Woody?

So Im assuming you must have made the pilgrimige to Thomann ..?

Btw: I think you would like my Bird if you want a square shouldered Gibby with some bark. The long scale and tighter bracing actually make it a very barky guitar. The more you spank it the more it gives back.

Enjoy man, would love to her some smples, in particular directly compared to the Woody.

So, now the cat is out of the bag. She's a real beauty. I'm very envious. Being in a position to have only one, I'm happy to stick with the banner, burst and smaller guard, but if I could have two, I'd be well pleased with such a looker, especially if she gives so much on the tonal side. I was tempted to retort 'insta-Bob' to the 'insta-Keef' comment, but the late '50s guard actually suggests insta-Gillian instead. Or if you prefer, crossing the border into douce France a moment, insta-Georges:

http://www.jukebo.com/georges-moustaki/music-clip,ma-liberte,5fqxv.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuN5BzRNHL4

So now, despite being a right-hander, you own two lefty Gibsons.

Wow -- that WAS a surprise ending! I've had a number of Hummingbirds over the years too, and really like the ones from about the 2003/4 period to now. Of course, you have to audition them, as they can be different from model to model and between individual examples. You might find that a "standard" sounds better than a "True Vintage", for example.

Anyhow, welcome to the J-50 club.

I got one of these too, last year, at Music Villa, just down the street from the Gibson plant in Bozeman:

IMGP9774.jpg

I have to say that, as much as I like its sound, I find it a bit brasher than my Sheryl Crow model, which -- more or less -- is the same guitar "under the hood" as the venerable Hummingbird.

The J-50 is a bit more in-your-face, with lots of raw power and well-defined bass. The SC/CW model is a little warmer and a bit more "refined" perhaps. Don't know if that is the essence of the "round vs square" shoulders sound (probably isn't) but that's what I come up with.

Congrats on your J-50!

Fred

Fred, I think you hit the nail on the head in describing the round vs square shoulder Gibson dreadnaught . Its good to have options and even better that Gibson can take the same tone woods, alter the shape, and get tonally different results. Some prefer the honey, others prefer the bark. Some like both. They both sound like Gibsons. And thats a good thing!

I also agree with your statement about varying from 1 guitar to the next. I have tried many hummingbirds over the years. I never encountered one that I liked until last december. It was a standard model with a golden honey burst that just begged me to call the sales guy to get it down off the top row on the wall. She had just been unpacked and hung up as I waited for the employees to open up for business. One E chord is all it took for my draw to drop with amazement. Honey had the looks and the sound to match. I went home without it, but didn't sleep well thinking that I was going to be telling a one that got away story. THe next morning I was back at opening and prayed it was still there. Well, it was and now Honey is mine. Its easy to see how the OP intended to buy a Hummingbird but came home with a J-50. Its virtually impossible to pass up a great Gibson!

The J-50 always reminds me of James Taylor at his best.

I have to say that, as much as I like its sound, I find it a bit brasher than my Sheryl Crow model... The J-50 is a bit more in-your-face, with lots of raw power and well-defined bass. The SC/CW model is a little warmer and a bit more "refined" perhaps.

Yes, that's what I found too, a nice guitar for sure, wicked strummers, but I needed bark, bite and able to be awkward etc...

Cheers Ritchie69, bobdwilliams and OWF ;)

Btw: I think you would like my Bird if you want a square shouldered Gibby with some bark. The long scale and tighter bracing actually make it a very barky guitar. The more you spank it the more it gives back.

Enjoy man, would love to her some smples, in particular directly compared to the Woody.

I'm sure I would love your model, man. Maybe the longer scale would be the trick. For the ones I played, maybe on another day... just not that day! While a less glamorous choice for sure, it was the right choice for me given what the ears and sensibilities for my setup required. As I said a surprise to me, but not the first time I've tried to buy a bird and ended up with something else so as much as I admire the looks and style I'm starting to think maybe they're just not for me.

Played it at rehearsal tonight and it's definitely a winner!

So, now the cat is out of the bag. She's a real beauty. I'm very envious. Being in a position to have only one, I'm happy to stick with the banner, burst and smaller guard, but if I could have two, I'd be well pleased with such a looker, especially if she gives so much on the tonal side.

Cheers mojo, such appointments, the banner in particular would have been great, icing on the cake, as I said not what I went for, not what I would pick based on appointments or details, tuners etc... but there you have it. Feels strange buying a guitar so far off the original plan and not even in the Gibson finish I'd normally go for either, maybe I can use that to my advantage over at the other place and pontificate on how I bought a guitar purely based on the sound too, I may get in some elite club... or maybe not! ;)

You went out to buy a Hummingbird -

I went home to try a Hummingbird, , , , my own and it sounded fantastic.

Visited my grandma out of town today – she turned 101 last Friday. On the train-journey home around midnite (I visited a friend also) there were rail-works, so I had to wait on a platform for 21 minutes. It became pretty cold, almost frosty and I didn't warm up in time before hitting the pavement for the last walk homewards. Stepped straight up to the Bird and took an E-minor7, , , ooouhh yes ! Ever tried that, , , coming in from the cold, then picking a 6-string right away. They sound overworldly good - as if receiving you with missed you glee of a left alone dog heheh.

Anyway – a J-50 for you ParlourM. Congratulations. It's what I call the Salvation Army finish. Those light hued neck'n'back'n'sides under the blonde top. A very puristic and serious looking personality. In fact the exact opposite of the flamboyant Bird. But a severely snappy guitar never the less. Especially when thinking a few years forward. These models age into cooler than cüühhll. . .

Cry "Wolf!" [flapper] Got everybody worked up for a H'Bird and roll out a J-50! Anyway, congrats on the new 6-string, whatever it's flavor!

Yeah - have to agree with Buc!

What a surprise! Congratulations. What a sensational looking top on that guitar, and some of the older ones I have seen aged wonderfully. (I was frothing over J50s, but went for the smaller cousin LG3 because I like the smaller guitars for blues fingerpickin', but the J50s are still not out of the equation!).

Gibson don't have these J50s on their main website - must be a limited run guitar?

It could also be 'Insta-Lightnin' Hopkins".

BluesKing777.

Anyway – a J-50 for you ParlourM. Congratulations. It's what I call the Salvation Army finish. Those light hued neck'n'back'n'sides under the blonde top. A very puristic and serious looking personality. In fact the exact opposite of the flamboyant Bird.

Haha, good one... I've never heard that, the Salvation Army finish... ;) I would also agree, it's almost the exact opposite of my original intentions.

Gibson don't have these J50s on their main website - must be a limited run guitar?

The thought crossed my mind, but there's no blurb to indicate so, it was the only one... and it doesn't even have a product page on Thomann anymore. I had seen it listed on their site, normally it would be flagged as 'out of stock' but now the product page is completely gone, so perhaps it is a limited run of some sort. I'm not sure... Perhaps it's just because there's not as much call for them, most people, myself included, usually prefer the Gibson burst.

EA asked price wise earlier and I forgot to address that, it was a sandwich and a coke more expensive than a Std J-45. I also picked up an AS50D while I was there, but not for me, for my singer. I've been playing it again this morning for the last 40-50 mins, still in the first flushes I guess ;) but now I have to go to work. Have a top day... catch ye's on my breaks.

All the best

Archived