Gibson Brands Forums

Clapton - "Aint Gone and Givin Up On Love"

saturn

Has he switched back to Lace Sensors? No pole pieces on that Strat (he's been favoring the Olympic White Strats in recent years, great look). That's Tommy Shannon on Bass and Reese Wynans on the white keyboard too. Haven't been able to spot the drummer yet, but wouldn't surprise me if it were Chris Layton...

Best version of this song ever, imo. Usually I'm all about SRV's version, but Clapton is really feeling this one. And it's from the mid 90's, so that's one of EC's older set ups.

Great playing, but that Strat tone. Blech!

Is that Double Trouble backing him up?

It's from the DVD "A Tribute To Stevie Ray Vaughan", it has Double Trouble and elements of Jimmie Vaughan's band backing the likes of Bonnie Raitt, BB King, Robert Cray, Buddy Guy, and Dr. John paying tribute to SRV on the Austin City Limits stage. Just the Best playing the Best, but if you have a Strat hang-up you'll probably not want to hear it.

It's from the DVD "A Tribute To Stevie Ray Vaughan", it has Double Trouble and elements of Jimmie Vaughan's band backing the likes of Bonnie Raitt, BB King, Robert Cray, Buddy Guy, and Dr. John paying tribute to SRV on the Austin City Limits stage. Just the Best playing the Best, but if you have a Strat hang-up you'll probably not want to hear it.

Yeah, it kills me sometimes because I love all of those cats' playing (especially early Robert Cray and seeing Buddy Guy at fifteen changed my life), but it's hard for me to get past that Strat tone.

I loved it. Mainly because you can tell Eric is playing directly from his heart. That alone is his strength as a player. And this is some of his best playing since the post Blind Faith years IMHO.

James Beam, it is not about who can do Stevie Ray better it is about the tribute. Eric put his own style into a SRV song (isn't it a Freddie King song? Not sure who originally wrote it), which is the way to do it. Eric has his style, SRV had his style. I think Stevie would have loved to know that Eric was paying tribute to him. It's not about doing it exact or trying to beat the original, it is about originality and playing from the heart, which is the main thing in this arena.

EVOL, I know you can't stand Strats. But I can't stand Fuzzy garage band type tone (which isn't an insult to that sound in any way I was just describing it...) so we're even!

+1 Kaleb!

He's not trying to "Do Stevie Ray", he's paying homage to him. And in the classic blues tradition he's keeping his friends music alive by playing it. And when that comes from the likes of Eric Clapton, BB King or Buddy Guy it's more than an honor, it's vindication. But that's Blues, it's meant to be played and shared.

And I'm pretty sure this is a SRV penned tune.

+1 Kaleb!

He's not trying to "Do Stevie Ray", he's paying homage to him. And in the classic blues tradition he's keeping his friends music alive by playing it. And when that comes from the likes of Eric Clapton, BB King or Buddy Guy it's more than an honor, it's vindication. But that's Blues, it's meant to be played and shared.

And I'm pretty sure this is a SRV penned tune.

YES! I thought the whole thing was very touching. All these players all had their own sound and feel for the instrument, a concept lost on some blues guys nowadays.....

I was sure too, but it sounds like something inspired (not copied, INSPIRED!) by Freddie.

Well, EC sounds like EC, no matter who's song he's doing, or what guitar he plays!

Which is a Great Thing...IMHO! [thumbup][biggrin]

I DO wish, at times, he'd crank that Strat up "clean," more often, and let the amp do all the overdrive/sustain.

The built-in guitar OD sounds too "fizzy," and puny, to me. It's not just the Strat, itself...IMHO. If you've ever

seen the "John Mayall 70th Birthday Celebration" DVD, Buddy Wittington's "Strat Tone," is AWESOME!

He's a great player, as well...but, EC is awesome, too, with his playing, on that same DVD...it's just that Buddy's

Strat tone, at least on that particular DVD, is so much richer. Buddy was running a generic (custom made)

Strat, into a Dr. "Z" amp! Beautiful tone, but not overly distorted, more a "singing" and very rich sounding tone,

with plenty of natural sustain.

CB

Well, EC sounds like EC, no matter who's song he's doing, or what guitar he plays!

Which is a Great Thing...IMHO! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

[thumbup]

What I really like about his playing in this clip, is that he used more of his old style classic "roll" technique more than his "trills" style playing which he does more and more as he gets older.

[thumbup]

What I really like about his playing in this clip, is that he used more of his old style classic "roll" technique more than his "trills" style playing which he does more and more as he gets older.

Yeah, it's a nice clip! I really loved the fact that he used his Strat "Clean," for it, too.

I wonder, though, if a "ballsier" amp, would help more, than a different guitar? Of course,

something on a video clip, is much different, than being there...so, it may have sounded

a lot nicer, "in person," tone wise? Still, I'd love to hear him use a "fatter" sounding amp,

with his Strat. Of course, his ES-335, or Les Paul would be awesome, too. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Archived