Gibson Brands Forums

Help choosing my next guitar, please!!

GilmourFan

Hey all. I have a very poor guitar that cost me around 100 euros. I think it's time to buy a better one. I want to spend around 200-300 euros. I hear a lot about the Epiphone G-400 SG and Epiphone Dot. I like them both and I can't decide which one to get, since both have the same pickups.

I play Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Shinedown, Foo Fighters, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Oasis, Ted Nugent and that kind of good music. I've been playing for 1 year and half.

If there is any better guitar by this price, tell please.

Thanks.

PS: I have a Fender Mustang I.

Well by looking at your user name, I'm a Gilmour Fan also. Maybe try a Squire Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster. But you say you like to play all of the artists you like of music, I would suggest maybe a Epi Les Paul Tribute. It has the Coil splitting for the different tone you want. A tad bit pricier than I think you can spend, but a great upgrade. Good luck.

I know this isn't really very helpful, but you should head to as many guitar shops as you can and play as many different guitars as you can. You will have a clearer idea of what you is gonna suit you.

from the music you have listed, I would think that Humbucking pickups are probably one of the things you should aim for.

both the dot and the G400's are great guitars for the money....in fact all the epiphone guitars are great instruments for the money. and there is loads of choices too, especially if you are willing to extend your budget a little.

I know this isn't really very helpful, but you should head to as many guitar shops as you can and play as many different guitars as you can. You will have a clearer idea of what you is gonna suit you.

from the music you have listed, I would think that Humbucking pickups are probably one of the things you should aim for.

both the dot and the G400's are great guitars for the money....in fact all the epiphone guitars are great instruments for the money. and there is loads of choices too, especially if you are willing to extend your budget a little.

I agree with Neil, if you have a music store that has many guitars to offer just try to your liking.

Hey all. I have a very poor guitar that cost me around 100 euros. I think it's time to buy a better one. I want to spend around 200-300 euros. I hear a lot about the Epiphone G-400 SG and Epiphone Dot. I like them both and I can't decide which one to get, since both have the same pickups.

I play Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Shinedown, Foo Fighters, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Oasis, Ted Nugent and that kind of good music. I've been playing for 1 year and half.

If there is any better guitar by this price, tell please.

Thanks.

PS: I have a Fender Mustang I.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I hope you like it here.

Nothing wrong with a Fender Mustang, just not particularly suited to the music you're currently playing.

Epiphone are just releasing some new models with their Probucker pickups. I hear they're excellent.

The Les Paul Tribute with Gibson '57 Classics, the new Prophecy with Gibson 490R & 498T, The older Prophecy

with Gibson Dirty Fingers may be what you're looking for. The older Prophecy also comes in the G400/SG style. Check out the Epiphone new releases. I'm sure there's something there for you're budget and taste.

Good luck

Paul

Hi and welcome to the forum. I hope you like it here.

Nothing wrong with a Fender Mustang, just not particularly suited to the music you're currently playing.

Epiphone are just releasing some new models with their Probucker pickups. I hear they're excellent.

The Les Paul Tribute with Gibson '57 Classics, the new Prophecy with Gibson 490R & 498T, The older Prophecy

with Gibson Dirty Fingers may be what you're looking for. The older Prophecy also comes in the G400/SG style. Check out the Epiphone new releases. I'm sure there's something there for you're budget and taste.

Good luck

Paul

Do you know when?

Btw, I just bought the Fender Mustang amp because it has a lot of efects in it and the Fender Fuse is a good program to use the amp trough a PC.

Do you know when?

Btw, I just bought the Fender Mustang amp because it has a lot of efects in it and the Fender Fuse is a good program to use the amp trough a PC.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought the Mustang you spoke of was a guitar. [lol]

Some of the new models are out already but others are a couple of months away.

Keep an eye out for the new issue Genesis. No idea when they'll be out I'm afraid.

The Pelham blue G400 is another beauty you might be interested in.

Basicly there are heaps to choose from buddy.

Cheers

Paul

Keep an eye out for the new issue Genesis. No idea when they'll be out I'm afraid.

Cheers

Paul

No problem! :D

I'm going to see that g400 and the other models to come. Thanks! :D

Hi

and welcome here [thumbup]

may I suggest an Epi Nighthawk

more versatile and in your pricerange

Thanks! I say some videos of the Nighthawk and I saw and heard that it very versatile, but there is a problem... I dont like much how the body looks... :S

Cheers

Paul

Just a problem. I can't find information about any new models. Could you link it please?

The Dot gives you flexibility that some of the others mentioned here won't give you - a semihollow has more resonance if you're into blues and even jazz. It's not a hollow guitar (it has a centre block) so it doesn't feed back like a hollow body can (especially at higher volumes). As others have said, you really need to try lots of different guitars. I just put down money on an Epi Wildkat and it took me four months of trying all sorts of guitars to find exactly what I wanted.

You could try by deciding first on the type of guitar, rather than the individual model. For instance, some have mentioned Les Pauls - try a few and see. They play well generally, and sustain well, but tend to weigh a ton. Then there's the Strat style - light, easy to use, but with lower radius fretboards that some (like me) don't enjoy. There are so many options that it really is worthwhile (and enjoyable) to try lots before you buy. If you find for example that you like the feel of a solid body more than a hollow or semi-hollow, that narrows it down. Then you might like a 12 inch radius (which basically means flatter) fretboard, so that narrows it down further. The other day I happened to play an Epi Wilshire (the 66 reissue) which is a light-weight hardbody with a 12 inch fretboard that personally I really enjoyed playing (and they're a cheap guitar too). That might be one to look at.

The SG and the Dot are two totally different guitars, even though the pickups might be the same. I have a Dot and I love it. Personally I can't stand the SGs - even just the look of them, but we all like different things, that's why there are thousands of guitars on the market. I really would encourage you to try lots first - you'll educate yourself and end up with a guitar that you really like and that really suits you.

The Dot gives you flexibility that some of the others mentioned here won't give you - a semihollow has more resonance if you're into blues and even jazz. It's not a hollow guitar (it has a centre block) so it doesn't feed back like a hollow body can (especially at higher volumes). As others have said, you really need to try lots of different guitars. I just put down money on an Epi Wildkat and it took me four months of trying all sorts of guitars to find exactly what I wanted.

You could try by deciding first on the type of guitar, rather than the individual model. For instance, some have mentioned Les Pauls - try a few and see. They play well generally, and sustain well, but tend to weigh a ton. Then there's the Strat style - light, easy to use, but with lower radius fretboards that some (like me) don't enjoy. There are so many options that it really is worthwhile (and enjoyable) to try lots before you buy. If you find for example that you like the feel of a solid body more than a hollow or semi-hollow, that narrows it down. Then you might like a 12 inch radius (which basically means flatter) fretboard, so that narrows it down further. The other day I happened to play an Epi Wilshire (the 66 reissue) which is a light-weight hardbody with a 12 inch fretboard that personally I really enjoyed playing (and they're a cheap guitar too). That might be one to look at.

The SG and the Dot are two totally different guitars, even though the pickups might be the same. I have a Dot and I love it. Personally I can't stand the SGs - even just the look of them, but we all like different things, that's why there are thousands of guitars on the market. I really would encourage you to try lots first - you'll educate yourself and end up with a guitar that you really like and that really suits you.

+++++

Yep!! What he said [thumbup] in a nutshell.

(Those Wilshire's are beautiful and bargain priced.)

Paul

The DOT will get you into your playing zone with tones that cover most of what you mentioned. "I play Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Shinedown, Foo Fighters, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Oasis, Ted Nugent"

[thumbup]

A Les Paul, a Stratocaster, and a semi-hollow guitar is all you'll ever need to cover 90% of it all. 10% is acoustic of course.[tongue]

I have been hearing to some Nighthawk Custom Reissues. Do they work with the music I play? And what about the Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster?(Yes, I prefer Telecasters, the one I got is already the Strat style).

Archived