Gibson Brands Forums

The VOS gunk on bridges

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest farnsbarns

Just an interesting observation.

I did a job today I've been meaning to do for quite a while. After I tweaked the neck when I first got my R8 I tried to adjust the intonation which was left slightly out. I kept finding that the screws were very stiff and tried to lift out when turned. Because of this I couldn't get the intonation quite right.

I thought the trouble was probably the vos gunk on the bridge. I've never been that keen on the VOS gunk on the bridge/tail because it simply doesn't look old, more like someone sneezed on it. Today I removed the bridge and cleaned it all off by spraying Windowlene first of all and turning the screws back and forth to clean the gunk out of the threads (Windowlene was at hand so I used it) after that I sprayed WD40 all over it and repeated turning the screws back and forth, then, when it all felt nice and free and the screws had stopped lifting I put a small amount of 3 in 1 oil on it and re fitted it. It's now much easier to adjust intonation.

Great I hear you say...

Well, there was a side effect. I'm a tight arse and the strings weren't very old so I did all this without removing the strings. When I had put it all back together it sounded like brand new strings, not jangly but brighter, so much so that I am definitely NOT imagining it.

This might be because having attempted to make adjustments before but having given up because the screws just kept rising up out of the bridge, I might have ended up with all the saddles raised up above the bridge slightly and, therefore, poor contact. Not really sure but the phenomenon is really very obvious.

Any thoughts?

I removed the gunk form the tailpiece and the pickup covers on my R8 but I have not tried to remove it from the bridge, next time I change strings I'll give it a go and see if I notice a difference.

You make a good point I bet the contact points improve by removing that gunk.

I never clean my guitars but when I got my guitar back from Joe Glaser's shop the VOS had reacted to something in their shop and turned greenish.

Guest farnsbarns

I was thinking more along the lines of the stiffness of the screws causing them to lift, along with the saddle, when turned so they are not seated properly within the bridge anymore, and then staying in the slightly elevated position meaning there was virtually no contact at all. Personally I don't think just a little bit of the gunk between surfaces would have any effect.

Archived