Gibson Brands Forums

Killing More Than One Bird With One Stone

J.R.M.30!

I have done this before, in that I decided that the local store was how I say "old"and "crusty", so I killed two birds with one stone by visiting two music stores elsewhere. Now I'm thinking about going further but I have to have a better reason this time because of the distance. It would help if I knew somebody in the area I could visit but, alas I don't. It would also help if I knew the inventory at the stores but I don't. Another thing that would help is knowing what I want but I don't. It's a crapshoot I guess. Any stories of venturing real far soley for guitar gear would be nice to read.

I brought back a guitar from Los Angeles to New Orleans once. But it wasn't like you say, a trip for the sole purpose of getting a guitar. Before I married my wife, we evacuated to L.A. because of Katrina. Her dad gave me one his guitars, a blonde ES 175. Now all of us are back together in Los Angeles.

If you live in the boonies, your only choice is to get early & drive to wherever there are more guitars and just make a day-trip of it. Happy hunting!

Almost 10 years ago I wanted a bass with 24 frets and active electronics and could find nothing on my side of the island. I almost settled on a Yamaha RBX760 but found and still find to this day that the Yamaha couldn't make a good slap bass tone, so I passed on it. I waited another two months with as much restraint as any 17 year old could have with pocket full of money. Then one evening I bought a local classified magazine call Buy&Sell, found a guy selling a 3 or 4 year old Ibanez SR800... left home at 6:00am, got home with the bass in hand at 9:00pm. Over 1300kms round trip for a bass haha. [scared]

Flew home once, Dallas to Detroit, clutching a 1963 Fender tweed Champ as a carry on (wish I still had it!). But again, not a trip solely for that. Was taken there by a supplier for a business seminar. I did extend the stay by one day though, specifically to go to the Dallas Guitar Show.

Once drove from Lansing to Chicago for a guitar show. I didn't end up buying anything that trip, but a buddy of mine bought a beautiful 1961 brown Fender Pro. I think he still owes me for gas... [laugh]

Archived