Gibson Brands Forums

Any of you guys cover Van Morrison songs???

onewilyfool

I work 'Into The Mystic' into the middle of other songs when we do the acoustic duo thing, and we will throw 'Brown Eyed Girl' into the full band set if someone requests it (which happens pretty often). Really need to throw in a few of his lesser known songs in there, though.

BBG is it true you often run into him down the local pub where he is well known for doing his Chris De Berg covers before shouting drinks for the bar!

he was eating lunch with a few other fellas one day a few years ago in a hotel near his place , my mates dad and his girlfriend were there too at a separate table . when she said 'thats van morrison over there , you should get his autograph , your son likes him'

my mates dad had heard of van morrison and thats about it , his girlfriend said ' van's face was a picture' when my mates dad went to the table with piece of paper and a pen asking 'is one of you fellas van morrison ?'

always made me laugh that , put a dent in his ego i'm sure

We sort of made a list of artists that all our competitors play which we swore not to play, to give ourselves a point of difference. Van Morrison was one of those.

Although we broke that rule by doing Oasis ... I guess Wonderwall was inevitable and whenever were stuck with a tough crowd this ones always a winner..

A good clip with these 2 troubadours around a terrific song and a couple of nice G's.

Never was a huge fan of Bob's imprecise vocal-harmonies though.

Then again – maybe this ain't so much a performance as a glimpse of 2 friends goin' through a song they both like. . . .

(if the writer wasn't tired of it at the point)

I gladly play Into The Mystic and It Stoned Me btw.

But another of my favorites is One Irish Rover have to learn that one -

I don't believe Bob's not interested - he's just not sure of the words and phrasing. It's certainly evident that there was no rehersal! You are right - someone is slightly out of tune - can't tell which, but I believe it's Bob. It's hard to tune acoustics together when the wind is blowing 50 mph!

Anyway, the VM songs I currently play in public are: Into the Mystic (this is a definate crowd pleaser - "Hark, now, hear the sailor's cry,

Smell the sea and feel the sky, Let your soul and spirit fly, into the mystic!)and Tulepo.

Peace,

LCB

BBG's deadpan in this thread is killing me. I now call on everyone here present to promise to repeat the autograph stunt any time they see Van Morrison!

But back to the initial question! Well in answer, I will admit that I've done the old Brown Eyed Girl live with a full band once. Went down a storm. (I would rephrase that, but I'm lazy.) Probably no less inevitable than doing the old Wonderwall, EA, but I have to say that I'm proud I gave in to Van rather than to the Gallaghers. In any case, the whole first album's worth of the 1967 New York sessions are the dog's as far as I'm concerned, and the old BEG is the cherry on the cake. Would love to do Joe Harper Saturday Morning, but I think I'd forget the lyrics and fail to keep a straight face every time I sang about shining my glory all around. I am also partial to Them. Never have had a band with whom I could cover their version of Baby Please Don't Go, though the riff is one of my faves for electric practice. I am also guilty of doing Gloria at parties. I was fancying learning Tupelo Honey a couple of months back, till I read how many of you do it. Damn you all!

I think the idea of BBG doing the whole of Madame George has just made my night, but I think my mirth could be surpassed if Wily could be persuaded to cover any of the songs from the second 1967 NYC album and post the results here. I nearly crashed the car when I first played it. It's hard to drive safely when you're doubled up on the floor. I hadn't laughed quite so hard since Dave Allen died. Anybody for a cover of Ringworm? Please, Wily, please!

Archived