Gibson Brands Forums

Strap broken on Gibson J-45 case....

onewilyfool

Tough one to fix properly at home. Snapped at the attachment point to the lid? Reattach it too short and the lid won't stay up unattended. I suspect those things are glued in place. I'd try a good 5-minute epoxy bead as cleanly as you can.....that expoxy is some strong stuff. If that doesn't work then it might call for a trip to a luggage repair shop.........

I've repaired them before on cases I had, but do keep in mind the replacement strap has to be the right length. Too short and the top doesn't stay open (or actually closes on the guitar as you're taking it out, leaving a nice scratch. Don't ask me how I know...) and if you make it too long, you might overstress the hinges.

I've glued mine in with a hot-glue gun. The ends of the strap are usually hidden beneath the cushioning on the lid or case body, so I just pry a bit of the cushioning away from the surface, glue in the strap, then glue the cushioning back over it to hide it.

Before using a hot-glue gun (or any other glue, for that matter) around your guitar case, though, make sure your guitar is far, far away. And it doesn't hurt to tape off areas you don't want to spill glue on. We're always careful, but glue has a way of winding up where we don't want it. And if you spill a drop, you'll spill it in the worst possible place.

Archived