Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard/Custom or Special?

nrand

I am thinking about getting a Les Paul of some description. I don't get an opportunity to play these in my part of the world but looking on-line at what is available, and looking at the history/Gibson's reasons for introducing the Special in the first place, my questions are these:

Apart from the obvious extra work that goes into making a Standard or Custom, is there a great enough difference in the music they make over a Les Paul Special to justify buying one?

If so, what are the main differences? I have looked at a lot of youtube videos of people playing various models, and the only real differences I hear are in the quality of the players themselves, and the gear they play through.

Is it worth looking at some of the Japanese spinoffs like Orville, Epiphone, Burny or Greco for example? Cost is a factor here and I am looking to maximize bang for the buck.

I guess that is three questions.

IMO, best bang for the buck is the Les Paul Studio line (you didn't mention them, but certainly worth considering). Particularly, the 50's Tribute and 60's Tribute series.

With these you get a full fledged Les Paul minus some cosmetic niceties (like binding on the neck and body, which I love, but can do without, especially for around $1000 difference). You get a "faded" nitrocellulose finish, thinner than the fully finished models. Lets the wood breath. The versions with the P 90's use the very same P 90s you would get if you bought an R 6 ('56 reissue Custom Shop Historic) according to what Gibson Customer Service told me. That Historic would run you 3-5 times the cost (based on normal "street prices" here in the US). Not that there aren't other benefits to the Historic, there certainly are. But for tone and playability, you can come very, very close for far far less money. JMO, YMMV.

Thats a tough question to answer..

But if money is the biggest issue than id say either get a Studio level Gibson which are amazing for the money, I have Standards and a couple of Studios, all sound and play like Gibsons.. Of course there are differences but most of that is cosmetic, some studios even come with Burstbucker Pros in them thats the same pups as in a 2008 Standard... and as for playability thats also down to personal taste so is hard to advise on that but there are three main types of neck, 50s (known as the baseball bat neck), 60s (which is a slimmer tappered version) and Asysimmetrical which is similar to the 60s but more ergnonomic. Also it depends on what you play, if you use lots of gain then the actuall sound of the guitar is almost irrelevant (to a point) and its just looks and feel after that.

Or get an Epiphone, these days they are pretty good quality, ive played a few recently and was impressed, but im a total Gibson head so for me if it dont say Gibson on the headstock im not happy.. :P

The Epiphone Ultra 3 is a really high spec'd guitar and very good for the money

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Ultra-III.aspx

Happy hunting and post pics of whatever you end up with [thumbup]

I'd go with the Les Paul Standard. The 2012's look like they're going to be pretty sweet. I really, really like the Les Paul Junior Specials that are coming out though. They come in glossy or satin finish, and you can get them with either P-90's or humbuckers. Check these links:

LP Jr Special Humbucker

LP Jr Special P-90

If you're on a budget, or want a couple of sonic possibilities, these are cool. I want one with P-90's myself. [thumbup]

Thats a tough question to answer..

But if money is the biggest issue than id say either get a Studio level Gibson which are amazing for the money, I have Standards and a couple of Studios, all sound and play like Gibsons.. Of course there are differences but most of that is cosmetic, some studios even come with Burstbucker Pros in them thats the same pups as in a 2008 Standard... and as for playability thats also down to personal taste so is hard to advise on that but there are three main types of neck, 50s (known as the baseball bat neck), 60s (which is a slimmer tappered version) and Asysimmetrical which is similar to the 60s but more ergnonomic. Also it depends on what you play, if you use lots of gain then the actuall sound of the guitar is almost irrelevant (to a point) and its just looks and feel after that.

Or get an Epiphone, these days they are pretty good quality, ive played a few recently and was impressed, but im a total Gibson head so for me if it dont say Gibson on the headstock im not happy.. :P

Thanks Rabs and others who replied - you and T-bone both suggested the Studios, which I had not considered.

The closest thing I have to a Gibson at the moment is the Epiphone by Gibson 335, which is the Japan market issue with open book headstock and the same specs as the Orvilles. I absolutely love this thing for anything bluesy or slightly overdriven trad rock sounds - it is a real joy to play. My reason for mentioning this is that if I were to look at the Epiphones I would probably look at a used one similar tho this. $1000.00 is my absolute limit so used gives me more options. This is what I paid for the 335.

Most of my guitars I bought used on-line by the trial and error method. I have sold quite a few to be left with the keepers I have now.

My main stage amp is a Dean Markley Signature Series 120 head over twin vintage EV 12Ls in a converted Fender Box. For FX I use manly a Dynacord DRP15. This will give you an idea of the sounds I make. I am mainly a rhythm player and singer, in the Blues/gospel/country rock vein.

I notice there is not much love for the Les Paul Specials.

I'd go with the Les Paul Standard. The 2012's look like they're going to be pretty sweet. I really, really like the Les Paul Junior Specials that are coming out though. They come in glossy or satin finish, and you can get them with either P-90's or humbuckers. Check these links:

LP Jr Special Humbucker

LP Jr Special P-90

If you're on a budget, or want a couple of sonic possibilities, these are cool. I want one with P-90's myself. [thumbup]

Yes I forgot about these.. excellent suggestion too..

And I wouldnt say theres no love for specials, it just seems to be for people with certain tastes.. The single pickup thing puts alot of people off.. But the poeple who like them love them.. They are used by some blues players and alot of punk players I think as they have a unique tone, maybe call it a it more raw.. So I would say try one before you buy if you can..

But yes if you can stretch just that bit more to a Studio it will be worth it.. the 50s and 60s Tributes are excellent (if you can find one)

Yes I forgot about these.. excellent suggestion too..

And I wouldnt say theres no love for specials, it just seems to be for people with certain tastes.. The single pickup thing puts alot of people off.. But the poeple who like them love them.. They are used by some blues players and alot of punk players I think as they have a unique tone, maybe call it a it more raw.. So I would say try one before you buy if you can..

But yes if you can stretch just that bit more to a Studio it will be worth it.. the 50s and 60s Tributes are excellent (if you can find one)

Interesting you mention single pickup for the Specials. Most I have noticed are two pickup variety. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-SPECIAL-BLACK-FREE-SHIPPING-GREAT-GUITAR-/130681319307?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e6d36af8b#ht_665wt_792

I had thought the Juniors were the main ones with a single Pup.

There seem to be quite a few Studio Tributes around on ebay so I'll consider this too - thanks.

Interesting you mention single pickup for the Specials. Most I have noticed are two pickup variety. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-SPECIAL-BLACK-FREE-SHIPPING-GREAT-GUITAR-/130681319307?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e6d36af8b#ht_665wt_792

I had thought the Juniors were the main ones with a single Pup.

Yes your right lol ... to be honest I get mixed up between them sometimes.. theres so many different models.. and now the new Junior Specials make it even more mind boggling.. lol

Also as we are on it you can also get Double Cutaways which are like specials (two p90s) but (obviously) a double cut design.. They are hard to find now but if you can find one they are really great guitars.. heres me playing my one ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXAJoN6huWI

Archived