Gibson Brands Forums

Whats your fave scale to use

Scales... ahh the fun :)

So many many years ago I wanted to start learning just the basics of scales.. Im not a technical player at all and after the basic chords and barre chords I pretty much taught myself by ear so what ever I play I have worked out rather than read tab (mostly) sometimes tab is great for the bits you cant work out even if you just use it as a guide).

So when I wanted to start playing more lead I looked for a scale that went from one end of the fretboard to the other as thats what always sounded and looked impressive to me (well that what I thought at the time, I know better now).. So I found these scales I think they are pentatonic (or could be chromatic, cant remember, thats how little I know lol).

it has two main positions being

e |--------------------------------10-12-----------|DE

B |------------------------8-10-12-----------------|GAB

G |--------------------7-9-------------------------|DE

D |--------------5-7-9-----------------------------|GAB

A |----------5-7-----------------------------------|DE

E |----3-5-7---------------------------------------|GAB

and

e |-------------------------8-10-12----------------|

B |----------------------8-10----------------------|

G |------------------5-7-9-------------------------|

D |---------------5-7------------------------------|

A |----------3-5-7---------------------------------|

E |------------------------------------------------|

Now between those two positions you can pretty much hit any key and its probably the most useful thing out of eveything I have ever learned.. It works just about every time :) Ive shown it to a few guitar playing friends and both have thanked me for it several times so I thought id share and ask, whats your fave positions to play in? What was the one thing you learned that you use more often than anything else?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Fave scale for me is Minor Pentatonic - peferably blues notes chucked in. If not a blues I do like the sound of the Aeolian which seems to have a more natural feel under my fingers and makes good note choice easier.

For some reason I find it much more difficult to get lead lines out of Major Pentatonic (or Major Modes) than the Minor. Maybe its because I'm a miserable, sad old git! [unsure]

Fave scale for me is Minor Pentatonic - peferably blues notes chucked in. If not a blues I do like the sound of the Aeolian which seems to have a more natural feel under my fingers and makes good note choice easier.

For some reason I find it much more difficult to get lead lines out of Major Pentatonic (or Major Modes) than the Minor. Maybe its because I'm a miserable, sad old git! [unsure]

It took me about 5 years to realise Eric Johnson was just using the pentatonic he he

• 2 weeks later...

Archived