Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio 60s tribute, your thoughts please.

mrpink

Hi all, not been around here for a while as I've been getting my new band together. Anyways, thought I'd splash out on a new LP. My first thought was the new LP Juniors, mainly because I play mainly punk covers and I love the tone of P90s. But recently saw the LP studio 60s tribute model with twin P90s for almost the same price. Now I know what a junior plays and sounds like as I have played one at a local store. But I have not had the opportunity to play a LP 60s Tribute. Has anyone here got or played one? Any info would be great. I would like to know are the Studios soapbar p90s as good as the juiors dogear type.

Thabks in advance

Paul

What was your actual budget? Ive seen them go for as little as £576.27retail at woodbrass.com

As for the guitar I really like them. They have a really nice raunchy sound and a satin nitro finish. I do however prefer the neck of the 50's, but thats always down to personal taste.

This article might help you out http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars/electric/6-string-solid-body/les-paul-studio-60s-tribute-466037/review/2

Got a 60s Tribute Goldtop and its my fave guitar at the moment.. I have a few different types of guitars including a LP Standard and the tribute is up there for me with the best.. Love it to bits..

You may be interested in the new Junior Specials, comes with neck binding, satin or gloss, P90s or Humbuckers.. Real nice :)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Junior-Special-P90.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Junior-Special-Humbucker.aspx

And if you wanna hear, heres a vid of me playing my Goldtop in an old chuch (for natural reverb).. im playing through a tiny amp and yet it still sounds fairly decent... Also at the beginning I play it unplugged and you can still hear it (the camera was like 20ft away) even with the tiny compact camera mic.. So yeah they get my vote :) (also check about 4 mins in for added gain)

Hey guys, thanks for the info and great vid by the way. Those pups sound very hot. Should be perfect for that Johnny Thunders/Johnny Ramone type tone I'm after.

I have a budget of around £700, but if the right one comes along at a little more then I am willing to go up to £800.

I did look at the Junior specials and although thay are very nice, I really would prefer a guitar with block inlays. I am visually impared and find it very difficult to see dot inlays on a fretboard. So when I was looking for a new guitar it had to have 4 things 1. It had to be white 2. P90s 3. Block inlays and 4. Slim taper 60's neck with satin finish. The Studio 60s tribute ticks all the boxes, so now I know the pups ane hot enough I think my search is over. Thanks guys.

Hey guys, thanks for the info and great vid by the way. Those pups sound very hot. Should be perfect for that Johnny Thunders/Johnny Ramone type tone I'm after.

I have a budget of around £700, but if the right one comes along at a little more then I am willing to go up to £800.

I did look at the Junior specials and although thay are very nice, I really would prefer a guitar with block inlays. I am visually impared and find it very difficult to see dot inlays on a fretboard. So when I was looking for a new guitar it had to have 4 things 1. It had to be white 2. P90s 3. Block inlays and 4. Slim taper 60's neck with satin finish. The Studio 60s tribute ticks all the boxes, so now I know the pups ane hot enough I think my search is over. Thanks guys.

[thumbup]

Couple of nice ones ob Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-60s-Tribute-Electric-Guitar-P-90-Pickups-/150799451829?pt=Guitar&hash=item231c5906b5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-60s-Tribute-Guitar-Worn-Cherry-Sunburst-LPST60WSCH1-/251042487036?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a734c5afc

Archived