Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup concern on LP 50s tribute

JohnnyReb

Hey guys. I posted about my interest in the LP studio 50s tribute a while back. After doing some mind boggling research and never finding a straight answer I will ask here

I like a clean classic tone, and play blues and country. I don't care much for distortion or metal ( like the music just don't care to play it). I really like the chuck berry Gibson sound.

Ok so the 50s tribute has 490r and 497t humbucker pickups in it. I'm not too proud to admit I don't know jack about pickups. My concern is I read so much that there great for metal ect. I search YouTube for sound examples and there always distorted and playing heavy stuff. After reading and researching I'm worried that these pickups are going to be too hot for me. I don't want a fuzzy high drive sound when trying to play clean.

I do read that the burstbuckert pros are great for that classic tone. They would prob be right up my alley but sadly the 50s tribute only comes with the 497t combo. The faded worn LP studios have a burstbucker I believe but I don't like the faded worn finish. I can't afford to get into the 1300 range for the regular finish with burstbucker so it looks like I may have to try the 497t and try to live with it

So anyway what do you guys think about the 490 497t combo? I play mostly at the bridge for treble but I'm afraid these are too hot for a classic clean tone

Ok, so explain to me why Gibson.com and every place I look at them online say they are humbuckers????? Who is wrong here....Gibson and the retailers, or you? I tried to copy and paste it but it won't allow me for some reason. And I know I'm not drunk or on dope so I am reading it correctly

My apologies then. I wasn't aware they were making a 50's Tribute Studio with hunbuckers.

Personally I'd hunt down the P-90 model for blues and country as I think single coil better suit the style.

That said you can play any style with any pickups. 490s won't sound distorted on a clean amp.

The stock 490 pickups are Gibson's take on a "modern" version of the PAF...I think they sound just great with a slight adjustment. Get a screwdriver, plug in the guitar and adjust the height of the pickup till the sound you hear is right to your ear. I start with the neck pup, then just adjust the bridge pup so that the volume of both pickups is balanced at full on position. If you want to tailor them further, adjust the pole pieces...lowering them to the top of the cover-even slightly below-will give you a very clean, jazz/blues tone and raising them gives you a biting treble/chimey sound. I think they are great pickups, an th me there is no need at all to replace them.

I have the identical set in an Epiphone Dot, and they are really fine sounding.

mark

The stock 490 pickups are Gibson's take on a "modern" version of the PAF...I think they sound just great with a slight adjustment. Get a screwdriver, plug in the guitar and adjust the height of the pickup till the sound you hear is right to your ear. I start with the neck pup, then just adjust the bridge pup so that the volume of both pickups is balanced at full on position. If you want to tailor them further, adjust the pole pieces...lowering them to the top of the cover-even slightly below-will give you a very clean, jazz/blues tone and raising them gives you a biting treble/chimey sound. I think they are great pickups, an th me there is no need at all to replace them.

I have the identical set in an Epiphone Dot, and they are really fine sounding.

mark

+1

To the OP:

I have the '50s tribute HB model and those pups clean up beautifully. I'm a rock and metal kind o' guy but roll off or clean your amp settings, add in a smidge of analog delay and chorus and you're in clean heaven.

If you want jangle in your cleans get the P90 version shown in the pic above. A spot of slap back analog delay and you're in rockabilly and country territory. P90s also grit and growl nicely when you add in some distortion so are great for classic rock or punk too.

Actually I have a 2010 LP Tribute with the P-90s (single coil) and played through my Fender tube amps, I can get a very very clean sound, I can fingerpick it too and it sounds very acoustical.

I can also over drive em for distort and get some heavy metal. The P-90s seem to be very versatile.

I also have Classic Custom with 57' pups (HBs). I have to turn down the volume and the tones on the amp to get a nice clean sound. But she really purrs.

Hello! I agree with Markini. P-90s are great for every kind of music. You can get nice cleans, great bluesy tone with a tube screamer. Even on high-gain they sound right! They are probably the best sounding Gibson pickups. I best enjoy my 50's Tribute P-90 version with TS-10 set: Gain at 2, both Tone and Level at 5, and a Vox Wah. With a Regent tube amp - of course! :) Cheers... Bence

I to have the original 50's Tribute gold top with P90's and if you can find one grab it .It would probley suit your needs best.I've been playing with cleaning it up and then getting the grit back with the guitar volume and the different tones is amazing.

Archived