Gibson Brands Forums

Your favorite chord to play

swleary

G chord. Always the first one I play to see if a guitar is in tune too.

+1 same here.. always tune to G

But its the big three.. G D C so many rock songs use those three chords its amazing

I just love the first chord of Spanish Castle Magic,I don't even know the name of it,I never got it from a book but just listened to the song so much that I figured it out on my own.The chord is some form of a C#9th or 7th as near as I can figure.Whenever I try out a guitar,Strats especially,I always hit that chord because for some reason the overtones it creates bring out nuances in the sound that are unique to that chord and on a Strat especially it just sounds majestic and even moreso through a Marshall stack-a combo won't cut it-not even a Marshall,tried that too.

BTW: I'd love to know what the "Hendrix" chord is,or is this another one of these weird things that some people have come up with to build on the "Hendrix mystique"? I know that he made a lot of use of 7th and 9th chords but so did guys like Buddy Guy,Lightnin' Hopkins and a host of other guitarists who came before him.

I don't know what it is exactly called, but mine is an extended A chord with the two high strings. Alex Lifeson uses it a lot.

A close second would be A an octave above, with a killswitch no less! Yes, I am talking about the Alive! version of Cold Gin....

BTW: I'd love to know what the "Hendrix" chord is,or is this another one of these weird things that some people have come up with to build on the "Hendrix mystique"? I know that he made a lot of use of 7th and 9th chords but so did guys like Buddy Guy,Lightnin' Hopkins and a host of other guitarists who came before him.

The "Hendrix Chord" is a Dominant 7#9 chord. The most commonly used one is the E7#9, which in tab is as follows:

X7678X. Your middle finger would take the 7th fret on the A string, index on the 6th of the D, ring finger on the 7th of the G, and pinkie on the 8th of the B. Both E strings are muted (though they can be left open in the E7#9 obviously)

-Ryan

The "Hendrix Chord" is a Dominant 7#9 chord. The most commonly used one is the E7#9, which in tab is as follows:

X7678X. Your middle finger would take the 7th fret on the A string, index on the 6th of the D, ring finger on the 7th of the G, and pinkie on the 8th of the B. Both E strings are muted (though they can be left open in the E7#9 obviously)

-Ryan

I refer to it as the Jimmy Page How Many More Times chord/Alex Lifeson Working Man chord. Two similar song endings!

Most people call it the Hendrix chord because of Purple Haze and Foxy Lady.

Foxy Lady doesn't use that chord. It is in Gb.

The ending in Rush's Working Man is my favorite use of that chord, mainly because it rocks my a$$ off and nobody ever gives it credit.

Foxy Lady doesn't use that chord. It is in Gb.

The ending in Rush's Working Man is my favorite use of that chord, mainly because it rocks my a$$ off and nobody ever gives it credit.

Last time I checked, a Dominant 7#9 chord isn't restricted by key. The Gb7#9 (or F#7#9 if you prefer) is used in the song.

For Foxy Lady I've always used an F#9th and also do a fractured form of F#m7th on the 14th fret for the second chord-it's hard to explain but when it's played it sounds spot on,rather than using the same F#9th all the time.

Archived