Gibson Brands Forums

Nephew on his way to Stardom?

bonzoboy

I guess that some of you remember that about 3 weeks ago I posted a thread about my nephew's latest release which is getting really popular here and is flying off the record store shelves locally.Anyway I got news last night that a very influential person in Montreal who is one of Canada's biggest music movers and shakers had somehow gotten his hands on the CD and now the nephew who I mentored since he was just out of Pampers is being placed on the short list for one of the most prestigous music awards in Canada.Along with the national attention this award will bring him,he'll also get a very large cash award.I'm just over the moon knowing that I had a small part in getting him started on the road to musical fulfillment. I got him his first Marshall because I knew from the time he was about 12 or 13 that he was destined to become a great guitarist because he not only had an inate apptitude for it but also showed a passionate desire to learn and was a perfectionist when it came to playing.From day one he was never satisfied until he had what he was trying to play down pat-nothing was good enough for him unless it was perfect.

By the time he was about 15 there was nothing new that I could show him and neither could anyone else, he was routinely going up against guys almost twice his age in band battles and making them look like rank amateurs.I was bound and determined to get this CD heard by someone influential in the music business but it looks like someone beat me to it,anyway as long as they found out about his massive talent I'm pleased and I'm glad to have all my babies willed to him,I know for sure that they'll be in good hands.

Thanks guys,I'll certainly keep you up to date as things progress.I knew that when he was 14 and humiliating guys twice his age by doing spot on Hendrix covers he was destined for a great musical career.I only hope that if he wins he buys a new Marshall and gives me back the old '71 Artiste 2040 Model I got him started on....sometimes I kick myself for not keeping it for myself as it has a real Bluesbreaker/2204 cross sound to it,an incredible amp with the 2 original Greenback Celestions but where it helped get him recognized I'm glad I let him have it after all.

Guest farnsbarns

Excellent news! My Nephew, on the other hand, was so sure he wanted to learn guitar, I gave him an early 90's Epi SG and an amp and put some time in but he showed no dedication and gave up pretty quickly in favour of BMX's and girls. You're obviously a great mentor. Congratulations to you both!

Archived