Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Note

zigzag

What is your favorite note to play? When you play, do you just play that one note all the way through? Do you play more than one note?... Lots of notes?... Do you play that one note in one octave or lots of octaves all at the same time? Do you play that note with lots of sustain or do you mute it. I've heard that people can get a lot of expression, say all they want, with one note. Which note is that? Thanks for your help.

Very fond of D, usually played more than once to make the solo more interesting. D# totally sucks ( 'the devils note") . I also like D played four times with some sustain ( D sus 4). D13 gets a bit boring because of the repetition.

Very fond of D, usually played more than once to make the solo more interesting. D# totally sucks ( 'the devils note") . I also like D played four times with some sustain ( D sus 4). D13 gets a bit boring because of the repetition.

I went looking for that D13 note on the fretboard. I'm not saying it's not there. I just couldn't find it.

My guitar teacher at college sat us round in a circle on our first lesson (there was about 5 or 6 of us - mainly just rhythm players who had started venturing into lead). We were all amped up and he tried to get us each in turn to play a 2 note solo over a few chords he was playing. Sounds crap right? Everyone thought so at the time and ended up trying to get away with doing a bit more than 2 notes to make it sound a bit better and while all failing miserably as no one could imagine how to make a 2 note solo sound good on the spot, he then had a go at it with one of us playing the chords and it was like he had performed a magic trick...His guitar sang! He pretty much wiped the floor with us with 2 notes and made us realise that simple can be effective. He said afterwards that it was more important to know when not to and what not to play than vice versa. He later concluded the lesson with some amazing sweep picking at our insistence. To this day I still overplay and don't think I could make a 2 note solo sound half as good as he did and I can't remember now for the life of me how he made it sound so good.

Archived