Gibson Brands Forums

1941 J35

Dg77

So my grandfather gave this to my mother who gave it to me. A 1941 J35. I'm well aware of the value of this guitar. I actually have seen one with a factory number only a couple digits off valued at $12k. Mine has been played and played alot, I actually have cassettes of my mom and gpa playing it which I converted to mp3. It has a small crack in the body near the neck and another one going lengthwise toward the tail right behind the bridge. With that in mind, I usually keep it de-tuned a bit to alleviate some of the string tension while it's in the case. I'm somewhat afraid to play it as I don't want anything bad to happen to it, but a guitar like this can't sit unplayed. It's meant to be played, it loves being played (occasionally). That being said, I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on re-stringing it. The strings are OOOOOLLLLD. I'm 35 and I can't remember seeing my mom ever change them, although I'm sure she did at some point..... soooooo.....like I said, OLD!

What strings would you put on this? am I insane for wanting to re-string it?

Well congrats on what sounds to be a fine old Gibson. T'were it mine, I'd have the cracks inspected/repaired by a competent luthier, string it up with light gauge strings and proceed with the wearing out of the instrument! It would probably really howl with medium strings but you should have the crack issues repaired first. Welcome to the nut house!

So my grandfather gave this to my mother who gave it to me. A 1941 J35. I'm well aware of the value of this guitar. I actually have seen one with a factory number only a couple digits off valued at $12k. Mine has been played and played alot, I actually have cassettes of my mom and gpa playing it which I converted to mp3. It has a small crack in the body near the neck and another one going lengthwise toward the tail right behind the bridge. With that in mind, I usually keep it de-tuned a bit to alleviate some of the string tension while it's in the case. I'm somewhat afraid to play it as I don't want anything bad to happen to it, but a guitar like this can't sit unplayed. It's meant to be played, it loves being played (occasionally). That being said, I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on re-stringing it. The strings are OOOOOLLLLD. I'm 35 and I can't remember seeing my mom ever change them, although I'm sure she did at some point..... soooooo.....like I said, OLD!

What strings would you put on this? am I insane for wanting to re-string it?

I'd agree with Buc's perspective. If you're uncomfortable in assessing the guitar's condition, in terms of structural aspects, I'd suggest getting it to a good luthier to assess it for you, and get those cracks attended to.

There's no point in restringing it if you don't play, or only play a bit, until you address the cracks to your own satisfaction and comfort.

Also, of course, you should realize, you DO need to take and post pics of this venerable and valuable family guitar!!! [biggrin]

Fred

I will definitely get pics up asap.

I know my mom had the cracks looked at before and they weren't in need of any repair at that time. It's been so long that I don't remember how they looked then compared to now. And not that I would ever sell it, but would repairing the cracks devalue it?

I don't know of any luthiers in my area, so I'll have to do some digging and see who's around.

Archived