Gibson Brands Forums

Frank Marino Coming Here

bonzoboy

Today they announced on the radio that Frank Marino-the Hendrix clone from Mahogany Rush-will finally be coming to St. John's.I've been a huge fan of Marino's ever since I first heard him and Mahogany Rush on a French-Canadian music show in 1972,I immediately went out and bought their first album Maxoom and have bought almost every one of their releases since.For the past few years Marino has been concentrating less on the Hendrix connection and creating his own guitar oriented symphonies such as the beaautiful and majestic World Anthem.Anyway I intend to be front row center even if I have to line up 48 hours before tickets go on sale,after all he's one of the few artists who I'd bother to pay to see these days.He is one of the few who can pretty well nail Jimi's playing style and sound even though he uses mainly SGs and Fender Twins just about as far removed as you can get from Jimi's Strat/Marshall combo.

Today they announced on the radio that Frank Marino-the Hendrix clone from Mahogany Rush-will finally be coming to St. John's.I've been a huge fan of Marino's ever since I first heard him and Mahogany Rush on a French-Canadian music show in 1972,I immediately went out and bought their first album Maxoom and have bought almost every one of their releases since.For the past few years Marino has been concentrating less on the Hendrix connection and creating his own guitar oriented symphonies such as the beaautiful and majestic World Anthem.Anyway I intend to be front row center even if I have to line up 48 hours before tickets go on sale,after all he's one of the few artists who I'd bother to pay to see these days.He is one of the few who can pretty well nail Jimi's playing style and sound even though he uses mainly SGs and Fender Twins just about as far removed as you can get from Jimi's Strat/Marshall combo.

BTW, his amps are hot rodded twin style preamps with crown poweramps.

Frank is great. But I have heard he is kind of a prick. But then again to some people Neil Peart comes off the same way so I really should stfu!

I remember reading Guitar Player magazine a very long time ago and Frank mentioned that he was tapping long before Eddie was doing it. It was probably true. He is great in any case.

BTW, Neil Peart never could handle being a star well. He's a very humble guy. In fact he's still taking lessons from other drummers.

I remember reading Guitar Player magazine a very long time ago and Frank mentioned that he was tapping long before Eddie was doing it. It was probably true. He is great in any case.

BTW, Neil Peart never could handle being a star well. He's a very humble guy. In fact he's still taking lessons from other drummers.

A lot of people were tapping before Eddie. The guy from Genesis, Frank Zappa, and the two guys Eddie got it from: Page and Frehley.

I can believe Frank. But I know that he doesn't like Eddie. I recall him saying that Eddie is only famous because of DLR. If I remember correctly, DLR wasn't featured on Eruption.

Re Tapping : Ever since the days when Nicolo Paganini wrote pieces for guitar in the late 18th century,tapping has been a part of guitar playing.Some of his works were so complicated that the only way they could be played was by using two-handed tapping,especially when his 24 Caprices for violin were transposed for guitar.If you ever come across Eliot Fisk's recording of Paganini's 24 Caprices transposed for guitar it would behoove any guitar player to listen to them.It is available on the Musical Heritage Society/Passionato site : http://www.musicalheritaage.com or toll free 1-866-803-3169. The stock number is: 513555Y It's well worth the trouble of looking it up on their site as you'd think that there were overdubs of 2 more guitars in some pieces.

In order for Marino-or anyone for that matter- to do faithful covers of Jimi's songs,two-handed tapping is a must,especially on songs like Machine Gun and at the end of Voodoo Child (slight return).

Re Tapping : Ever since the days when Nicolo Paganini wrote pieces for guitar in the late 18th century,tapping has been a part of guitar playing.Some of his works were so complicated that the only way they could be played was by using two-handed tapping,especially when his 24 Caprices for violin were transposed for guitar.If you ever come across Eliot Fisk's recording of Paganini's 24 Caprices transposed for guitar it would behoove any guitar player to listen to them.It is available on the Musical Heritage Society/Passionato site : http://www.musicalheritaage.com or toll free 1-866-803-3169. The stock number is: 513555Y It's well worth the trouble of looking it up on their site as you'd think that there were overdubs of 2 more guitars in some pieces.

In order for Marino-or anyone for that matter- to do faithful covers of Jimi's songs,two-handed tapping is a must,especially on songs like Machine Gun and at the end of Voodoo Child (slight return).

I know that all the ancient guys, for lack of a better term, tapped. But I also know that rock n rollers didn't really start tapping until Hendrix and all those guys I mentioned. But EVH brought it to a new level. So much that even people that don't play try to tap!

Archived