Gibson Brands Forums

Ultra 339 review

Trewblue

Good review. The reviewer is right to draw attention to the unique feature; you can blend acoustic and electric sounds. The semi-hollow construction, along with the nanomag, means you can get quite an authentic acoustic sound, especially through an acoustic amp or P.A. Of course, you don't get that sound if you send the signal into an amp set up for electric tone. You need to seperate it.

For a gigging guitarist it's great, even if you don't own an acoustic amp you can plug into the P.A. and get a pretty good result.

The price for the Ultra 339 is too high for some people, especially when you can get the non-nano Pro version for a lot less. However, the Pro is "just" another semi-hollow with humbuckers, albeit a nice one. The Ultra gives you electric / acoustic / blend-of-both with just one button to press.

I'm doing my first gig with mine on Saturday, and I plan to use it for every song (classic rock/pop covers). It will also be first time out with the amp, a Fender Acoustasonic 150. The nano output will be plugged into the acoustic channel and adjusted with the filters designed for acoustic guitars. The humbuckers will go through the spare channel, which has less adjustment options, but it will be through my Boss multi-FX anyway and I'll control EQ, gain etc on that. It's going to be interesting; it sounds great at bedroom volume, but may be a different result in a big room next to a full-on drummer.

Thought this would be some good reading. The review is in Premier Guitar.

http://www.premiergu...tar_Review.aspx

Pretty much the same perceptions I have about mine. After a trip to Nashville for repairs it's a great and unique instrument at it's price point.

EPi just needs to weed out all the initial defective units shipped and make a clean start with properly wired, tested, and inspected units.

For those who like it, great.........I'm going for the regular plain top 339 for $399.00 before haggling.......

I'll pop in Gibby '57s, and do my magic on it......Their nano systems seem finicky........................

Archived