Gibson Brands Forums

Keeley compressor

WahKeen

I got this a few months ago to tame the cleans on my tube amps. I've only used it on the Peavy Delta Blues. I'm very impressed. You can adjust the clipping, attack, and sustain. Works great with my Eric Clapton Crossroads pedal. Jamming tonight forr an hour and a half was great. Here are a couple of pics of what I used tonight. Thoughts on this pedal? And sorry for the dark pics.

IMG_20120418_224340.jpg

IMG_20120418_224315.jpg

Wonderful pedal, I've had one for 3-4 years now. I have the 4-knob version, very versatile. Completely transparent compared to other compressors - I also have a VS Route 66 and a Hartman, both very good but not even close to the Keeley. It can change your playing (for the better) - great for clean funk rhythm and adding sustain to leads. Lately I've been rolling back the attack control so it cuts in after the note is picked and I don't get 'pick click'. Excellent and lives up to its rep.

I am currently re-thinking my board (and going to work, insulating my loft, mixing demos, and and and...) but the Keeley is still going 1st in the chain - hope to post pix when I finally get it up and running.

Good info "jdgm"..........I remember those "Crossroad" pedals....They didn't make them for very long......You have a killer and uber awesome tone

Wahkeen; If the "Keeley" is part of it, I may get one....I had the chance to pick up a "Philospher's Tone" today, passed on it...Hmmm......................

Member "Emmity Guaged" uses one, he gets great tone as well..........

Keeley Compressor is the STANDARD. Easily the best compressor you can get. I have had both the 2 knob and 4 knob...still have the 4 knob.

The thing that makes them so great is they are quiet, and that means 2 things: you actually CAN use them in more places in the effects chain without worry, as opposed to making compromises because of the noise issue. the other thing is that you CAN use it in situations where the noise prohibits using a compressor. It's a whole new world.

The 2 knob is dead silent. At it's most extreme setting, you have to listen real hard to hear any noise. It is also real hard to tell it is there at most settings, and you get a lot of squash. That means, for a lot of things, a recording can be MORE transparent and natural because you can get the signal well within the range of the equipment, and the signal can seem affected LESS using it. Also, it doesn't sound like an effect. You don't get that certain effect 'flavor' that makes it obvious there is something there like most effects do, but yet, there is a lot happening to the signal.

The 4 knob has some noise, but it also has more intense settings. So, you CAN adjust it to be able to have compressor 'effects'. Or rather, you can set it so extreme you can tell it is compressor. Like a compressor on steroids. The most extreme settings I know of. While there is some noise, it is still the low noise floor that allows for such extremes. I think any other type would have so much noise, it couldn't have such extreme settings possible.

I don't record, I like to use it for a boost pedal in place of a dirt box.

It really is what you guys say.

Dub, I hear ya. I like the bluesy tone the Clapton pedal delivers (a la Crossroads, White Room, Layla...). I do have a Satchurator, which delivers great high gain (although not for metal).

Damian, do it bro. You won't be disappointed!

jdjm, the "clipping" issue is where I did my research, and this one is easily the best to take care of that. Good call.

Duane, I believe I recall a post you commented on regarding yours. It does help the amp sound great. I'm really liking the four knob one myself.

Stein, yes it does work very well for a "boost" too. I'll take your two knob one... (cough) [smile]

Sorry if that sounded rude, I just see this beautiful Les Paul Custom in your picture and I can't believe you're running it through a pedal like that. Really any simple analog overdrive pedal will give you a much better bluesy sound. You should check out the Tube Screamers modded by our friend Surfpup here. Trust me

Sorry if that sounded rude, I just see this beautiful Les Paul Custom in your picture and I can't believe you're running it through a pedal like that. Really any simple analog overdrive pedal will give you a much better bluesy sound. You should check out the Tube Screamers modded by our friend Surfpup here. Trust me

Yeah, you're so rude! [sleep] lol. Nah, you being "rude" ain't nothing like an ignorant n00b around here who thinks he knows what he's talking about. Anyhoo, I hear you, man. I was wanting to hear some Clapton tones, so I got the old Crossroads out. I think the pedal is decent. However, I normally go into my line6 x3 live (cab simulator/effx)as it's easier for me to use than to lug around an amp.

But recently, I've been wanting to build a stomp rig and take an amp with me. That's why I got the Keeley. I have Satriani's Time Machine delay, his Satchurator, flanger, phase 9, and few others. Next will be a bad a## distortion pedal, and might even get me a TS. And trust you?? Doooode!! [biggrin] Surfup is cool. He's a teacher like me [thumbup]

Someone's a bit of a Satriani fan huh? lol that's cool man. What badass distortions do you have your eyes on?

My friend and I were listening to this band we just met practice and the guitarist was using a line 6 setup like that and it sounded really cool, but he came and watched us practice and we were talking about stompboxes and he said he wanted to switch to a pedalboard like me haha. I think both work fine, but individual pedals let you choose what sounds best to you a little better ya know?

Someone's a bit of a Satriani fan huh? lol that's cool man. What badass distortions do you have your eyes on?

My friend and I were listening to this band we just met practice and the guitarist was using a line 6 setup like that and it sounded really cool, but he came and watched us practice and we were talking about stompboxes and he said he wanted to switch to a pedalboard like me haha. I think both work fine, but individual pedals let you choose what sounds best to you a little better ya know?

Dub, I'm open for suggestions. I'd like something to hang with the Keeley, along the same standards, so.... Hmmm, don't want to start a rehashed thread tho... Anyway, don't have an eye on anything yet. I love blues and hard rock, not metal, so those are my criteria. And a good one, of course. :-k

I have heard nothing but great things about Wampler, not only his well beloved dirt boxes (although I think the SLOstortion is kind of a waste. Sorry Brian, but for that area, tubes win), but also his many delay/reverb units, mod units (like the Nirvana Chorus), and especially his Ego Compressor. For the best Wampler (best for any brand, not taking away from PGS or Gearmanndude, as I love both and will never stop seeking their effects wisdom!) demos, check out Burgerman666's channel on You Tube, he's amazing! He also is one of the few who demos Providence pedals.

Even if you don't like Satch or play that type of music, the Vox Satriani series are still high on my list. The Satchurator and Time Machine are like a good modded DS-1 and the Boss DD-3 delay but BETTER! The former is way better than today's stock DS-1 IMHO, and sounds really great no matter the amp. The TM delay was based upon one of Joe's modded DD-3 units, and it has a tap tempo!

And I would seriously recommend getting an Xotic BB Preamp for those blusey tones. Great pedal all around.

Wahkeen, I brought back an O.D. Review thread for you.......Seems like most players use only one or two O.D. / Distortion units...Hmmmm........

Maybe not the best as a "primary" pedal, but I like the Wayhuge Green Rhino and Porkloin pedals, and all of the Tech21 Character Pedals........................

Although, these might not be the "Uber Ideal" main goto O.D. / Distortion units, they are good secondary pedals........

It really is what you guys say.

Duane, I believe I recall a post you commented on regarding yours. It does help the amp sound great. I'm really liking the four knob one myself.

just click on my sig Deer Pr00dence link

A live performance of me doing Dear Prudence... My AC50 Combo is on 7 (loud) with the Keeley. I use a touch of flange and reverb. I'm finger picking and the guitar still has a full chimey tone, as if I was using a pick. Despite the volume and the compression it still allows me to express the tone using my finger.... very responsive for a compressor..... Some compressors dont allow you to express the tone with your fingers

You play Dear Prudence beautifully Duane. Thats one of my favorite Beatles songs I dunno why I haven't tried to figure it out yet. The picking pattern sounds kinda similar to Julia, which I know.

thanx!!!

And youre right, the picking pattern is the same on Julia....

^^^yea...when I inquired I got a "learn how to control you instrument" type responses.

I have never played through a compressor but the Keely is too rich for my blood, I have been thinking of buying an MXR Super Comp on craigslist, there are always several for sale at any given time.

Archived