Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar refurbish factories

DonCarlos

Recently I was in a discussion with an ebay guitar store that informed me that they dealt with the largest guitar refurbishing factory in the US. It was supposed to be one of the main places that Fender, Gibson, Epiphone, Schecter, ect. sell their "mistakes" to, and the guitars are refurbished and resold (less the warranty, stamped 2nd/Used/).

I asked of course for the name and still have not gotten an answer.

I am not doubting that such a place(s) exists, I would just like to know the name and where it is? Am I trying to cut out the middleman? Of course.

So what do you all think; is there such a place(s)? I have seen those "used" and "2nd" stamps on the back of heastocks and figured someone other that Santa's elves were doing that.

There's a guy on eBay that goes by the name "gibsondependable" that sells a ton of electric body & neck project guitars. I have no idea where he gets so many stripped down bodies & necks, but I would guess they must come from Gibson somehow.

I did the Gibson factory tour in Memphis, they told us the the mistakes were destroyed

Good to know for future reference.

And I got two responses back today on some inquiries "Sorry we do not disclose our suppliers", but I suspect it might have been the 2nd string as mentioned by member ponty, earlier.

When my first HB had a finish problem to expensive for Gibson to fix, so they swapped it. I was told also the guitar would be trashed. But I have seen scrap guitars at Gibson facilities for th employees over there to play. I don't think they are still sold as they were back in the days.

There its a big one in Nashville called MIRC. It stands for musical instrument reclamation company. I always wondered where the instruments came from that were stamped USED too. I put in an application to work there and when I walked in they wondered how I even heard about them. I had applied at one of the repair shops on the area and they said I should also check MIRC.

It was a bit hush hush but it was also a big warehouse factory. Here is their website mircweb.com/index.php. I am pretty sure you wont find anything Gibson from there but plenty of epiphones, gretches, squiers, etc.

Archived