Gibson Brands Forums

NGD '61 SG special

Bones

My Epiphone '61 SG special showed up today, definitely not thrilled with the set up and dryness of the fretboard. The set-up was wicked high because the pilot hole for the bridge pup elevator screw was not deep enough on the treble side, so they left the pup way up and adjusted the action accordingly. Not very good inspection/set -up program over there I guess.

Anyway, I got it sorted out and it really is a nice guitar, sounds awesome and plays very well thanks to my incredible set-up skills :rolleyes:

post-26114-062522800 1334855795_thumb.jpg

My Epiphone '61 SG special showed up today, definitely not thrilled with the set up and dryness of the fretboard. The set-up was wicked high because the pilot hole for the bridge pup elevator screw was not deep enough on the treble side, so they left the pup way up and adjusted the action accordingly. Not very good inspection/set -up program over there I guess.

Anyway, I got it sorted out and it really is a nice guitar, sounds awesome and plays very well thanks to my incredible set-up skills :rolleyes:

Nice dude! Good grab! I'm with ya on the dryness of the fretboard. I have some Fender fretboard conditioner but I'm considered getting some of that lemon oil and doing it when I change the factory strings. HNGD !!!

I have to agree with the set-up and fretboard dryness. I had to use a buffer wheel on a dremel to smooth mine out. MIne also had some serious back-bow on the neck, which I guess worked to my advantage because I made the tech at GC straighten it out. Prior to that, no one touched it the whole time it was on the floor, so the guitar was pristine. It was also the only TV Yellow model they had, which was what I wanted.

I'm having a little trouble getting the action as low as I would like it to be though. It frets out in the upper register when I lower it to my preference. I dont think that they tapered the frets correctly. I'll probably remedy that the next time I change the strings. Other than that its a great guiar and sounds wonderful. Definitely my favorite sounding guitar.

Archived