Gibson Brands Forums

Memphis in May

ChanMan

Ummmm.... Do some of the bands listed not seem out of place for a Blues show? Just asking. :unsure:

Multiple stages... much like Bonaroo, so it's more of a music festival than it is a blues review.

Honestly, I haven't heard of most of these performers. I guess I'm not up on things these days

Might I most kindly recommend that you take a moment or two and YouTube some of the unfamiliar bands and check out a tune or two. I wasn't familiar with many of them either, but that list is shrinking :).

I liked these enough to make a note and look into picking up some of their stuff:

PROSEVERE- The Question

Zoogma - Primary Colors

Girl Talk- Oh No (warning... adult language NSFW)

I went to Memphis back in 1987 to attend a work related conference but in the evenings took in the sights and sounds of the cities night life,one such outing took me down to Beale St. and even though it was my first time in Memphis it felt like a home comming.I felt such a kinship with the place it was almost like deja vu.Somehow I strayed away from the others I had gone there with and ended up in a blues club and soon it was apparent that I was the only white person there but I felt so at home there listening to the music that I had loved since childhood and had some great conversations with other patrons about blues artists who they were into and who was hot around there at the time.

Some day between now and when I take the dirt nap I vow to go back to Memphis and hopefully for the Memphis in May days,especially if the line up is as impressive as this year's group of entertainers.Of course another reason to go back is to see Graceland yet again and over eat to the point of almost bursting at the Rendezvous where they serve up the best ribs on the face of the earth.

Archived