Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Junior Hum

JAC

I purchased one of the original VJs and it sounded great from the gate! It had a small tear on the tolex so I took it back and, they ordered a new one for me. The problem is that this one has a little hum to it. It has the hum even with the volume down all the way. I got it years ago and should have taken it back. Does anyone here know how to fix that problem? I really like the way this amp sounds with a booster in front of it, when I play my Deluxe Stratocaster through it! I had tried a speaker swap but that only helped slightly. Does anyone have advice on how to eliminate the hum. I had read that with the original ones, it was hit or miss with the hum problem! If someone knows a definite solution to the problem I would appreciate it!

I have an original version 1 VJr, complete with same hum ..... it's inherent in the design, apparently - it can be eliminated (I believe it involves changing tube heaters from AC to DC and rerouting/twisting the heater wires???). Sewatt.com amp forums have a whole section devoted to the VJr, with more than enough info to make your head spin as far as modding the lil buggers. I've never bothered "fixing" the hum, as I have a version 3 head'n'cab Jr - no hum - and the original's hum nostalgically reminds me of my original 5 watt Ampeg tube amp I grew up with in the late '60s/'70's.

I love both the combo and the head/cab, and occasionally stack them and run 'em both through stereo output of my multifx unit......great fun when the Mrs is at work (I work nights, so have some "loud time" to myself before I go to sleep in the a.m.....heh)

But yeah, although minor, it can get annoying and it is fixable....easy DIY if you're electronically savvy....but check out Sewatt.com and find the Valve Junior info .... it was a darling of amp modders at one point - simple, easy to mod circuit. I'm just too lazy to get to it yet...LOL...

I have an original version 1 VJr, complete with same hum ..... it's inherent in the design, apparently - it can be eliminated (I believe it involves changing tube heaters from AC to DC and rerouting/twisting the heater wires???). Sewatt.com amp forums have a whole section devoted to the VJr, with more than enough info to make your head spin as far as modding the lil buggers. I've never bothered "fixing" the hum, as I have a version 3 head'n'cab Jr - no hum - and the original's hum nostalgically reminds me of my original 5 watt Ampeg tube amp I grew up with in the late '60s/'70's.

I love both the combo and the head/cab, and occasionally stack them and run 'em both through stereo output of my multifx unit......great fun when the Mrs is at work (I work nights, so have some "loud time" to myself before I go to sleep in the a.m.....heh)

But yeah, although minor, it can get annoying and it is fixable....easy DIY if you're electronically savvy....but check out Sewatt.com and find the Valve Junior info .... it was a darling of amp modders at one point - simple, easy to mod circuit. I'm just too lazy to get to it yet...LOL...

Thank you for the response, and I will look at the recommended site!

Archived