Gibson Brands Forums

How do I find the Hummingbird battery? Please help.

Strange Leaf

Hello everyone.

I purchased a used Gibson Hummingbird last month, beautiful instrument.

It has a built in pickup, but I cannot for the life of me find the battery?

I want to check and/or replace it to make sure it's not old and begins to leak acid into my new guitar.

Can someone please tell me where to find it? Since there are no battery access holes (thank god), I assume it is supposed to be accessible through the soundhole.

But I can't even see the damn thing? The user manual says nothing about how to replace the battery, and I can't find anything on the internet.

Please help

dont some pickups have phantom power ?

k&k? or am i talkin bollox again?

you said used 'bird . was it definately factory fittted pickup ?

I'm not aware of any facory fitted passive pickups, BBG. But to answer yeas the K&K pure western mini is passive and would normally use a preamp/DI with 48V phantom power as opposed to an internally fitted battery.

Would you guys recommend removing the battery if the guitar is not normally plugged in? I was thinkin the same thing re leaking batteries.

i think its only flat batteries that leak , and that takes years doesnt it ? but if mine was never plugged in then i would put my battery back in my smoke alarm

whats happenin strange leaf ? dont leave us in the dark dude !

Sounds like it was an aftermarket/3rd party installation. It doesn't sound like any of the stock pickup systems Gibson has been using as far as I'm aware. If it's a mic system it may well be passive, who knows?

Without further details everything here is pure speculation. Pics may even help you get the pickup name/type too.

It's the original mic system of the hummingbird we are talking about.

I checked towards the neck, and there's a black sticky patch where the battery probably should be placed, but there is no battery there now.

Also I cannot find any cable for the 9V battery, maybe the previous owner cut it off. Everything else seems to be in order so I'm not bothered by it.

Nothing hangs lose inside or interfers with the acoustic sound which is the most important thing to me.

I will use my studio microphones for recording this baby anyway. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a leaking battery inside, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

/Stefan

i think its only flat batteries that leak , and that takes years doesnt it ? but if mine was never plugged in then i would put my battery back in my smoke alarm

whats happenin strange leaf ? dont leave us in the dark dude !

I've had all kinds of batteries leak .... mostly from inattention..... thankfully not in guitars. Think I'll take the battery out of my Gibson's today! Glad I read this to remind me.

I haven't recorded anything with it yet, and it will take some time until it happens. My studio is down for 2 months due to some renovations and all recording equipment is packed down in a shuregard facility. But I love the way the Hummingbird sounds in a room, and I am absolutely sure that it's capable of great recorded tracks.

It's the original mic system of the hummingbird we are talking about. I checked towards the neck, and there's a black sticky patch where the battery probably should be placed, but there is no battery there now.

The original factory installation has the black nylon battery bag velcro-ed to the neck block as witnessed by the patch of fuzzy remains. Is the volume knob still at the edge of the soundhole? Sounds like a previous owner pulled the battery but left the rest of it. The system will not work without the battery. If you intend to record with microphones anyway I'd consider removing the rest of the pickup hardware from the body......it's useless with out power.

if its a aftermarket pickup, the battery may be attached to the end pin inside

like this one

67646.jpg

they just don't show the battery in that picture. We install these all the time. the battery still goes in a canvas bag with that unit... usually mounted to the neck block inside the guitar.

Archived