Gibson Brands Forums

Help dating this Gibson ES175 DN Body

volumenbrutal

Wow- you really took a few photos! A lot of people don't post any until prompted. At any rate, the serial number is pretty much sufficient by itself. :)

Gibson's serial numbering system was messed up in this period, but my best guess is 1968. I thought it was much older at first glance (before seeing the serial number), because it has so much wear and tear.

Wow- you really took a few photos! A lot of people don't post any until prompted. At any rate, the serial number is pretty much sufficient by itself. :)

Gibson's serial numbering system was messed up in this period, but my best guess is 1968. I thought it was much older at first glance (before seeing the serial number), because it has so much wear and tear.

the guy who I got it from told me 1958. but yeah, for what I have checked around looks like 1968 is the correct date. THANKS!

Any ideas on how much would be a fair price for this thing?

That's a tough one, especially considering the condition. I've been buying/selling/trading for many years, but I don't have any experience with a damaged/gutted piece like this, so I'll leave that to someone else. What really has to be taken into consideration is how much it would cost to repair/restore it. Do you have the headstock?

That's a tough one, especially considering the condition. I've been buying/selling/trading for many years, but I don't have any experience with a damaged/gutted piece like this, so I'll leave that to someone else. What really has to be taken into consideration is how much it would cost to repair/restore it. Do you have the headstock?

nope, just the body and the metal tailpiece. I'm seeing these tailpieces alone going for $200 to $400 at eBay.

I agree with the 1968 dating. It's a shame about the headstock. Probably have to re-neck this guitar in order to get it back into playing condition. I do this kind of restoration work - check out my website - link below.

nope, just the body and the metal tailpiece. I'm seeing these tailpieces alone going for $200 to $400 at eBay.

Not bent like that, however.......

The guitar is going to have to be re-necked, and every component except the body and the tailpiece replaced. It's probably worth a few hundred bucks as it sits.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup! Sold for $692.07 (+$89 Shipping) at eBay. After all PayPal/eBay Charges and Packing Materials I have $578.23 left. Item already on its way to Chelsea, Michigan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200748865685&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

Thank you guys!!

I think that's a fair price for both buyer and seller, and probably a better deal for you as seller.

Definitely a great deal for you, the seller! Amazing ,what people will buy, in a non-playing condition and what they will turn there noses up at....in playable condition! The Ebay market never ceases to amaze me!

At the price that this 'husk' sold for, I can see why some people strip them and sell parts...Jes sayin'

Archived