Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Problem

Mike327

Hi, My name is Mike Pritchard and I recently received a Gibson Les Paul Joe Bonamassa Studio, ordered straight from Gibson USA for my 21st Birthday.. I am really happy with the guitar but I noticed that the volume pot is seized.. It becomes loose for a little bit when you work it, however if you wait a short amount of time it seizes up again and has barely any ability to turn.. I'm not exactly sure what to do as I will void warranty if I get it repaired by a luthier.. Does anyone know if Gibson allocate repair luithers in countries outside of the US?

Many Thanks!

Mike :)

Its a simple case of replacing that pot with a new long tennon CTS pot

But as others have said talk to Gibson first.

However Don't be expecting a replacement as the JB Studio's are discontinued so I'm not sure if they would have any spare.

If it gets sent off for the above replacement you could be waiting 4-16 weeks to get it back...

(I have some experience with a returned SG that had a very weak velute that failed inside the hardcase in storage! Took 3 months to replace)

cheers for the replies :) yeah I tried that but for some reason it wont let me send it through :\

In my experience you should take it back to the guitar store and have the staff contact Gibson direct, they seem to respond a hell of a lot faster this way...

The only other thing that I'm worried about is that if I do get anything done to it by a local tech, would it depreciate in value down the track? or more to the point would it appreciate anyway?

As for ordering it direct from gibson, I'm not exaclty sure because it was a birthday present.. I'll have to check it out :)

Changing a faulty CTS pot for another would not affect the value in anyway as in a way your making sure its working...

Changing pickups & capacitors can affect value but for most parts everything else has little or no effect on the value.

On mine I've added Bumbles Bees, Crown Grover heads & Pointers but only adding the Bumbles would effect the value in my case... (Regarded as the best)

Not sure where you are located, but Gibson has repair centers, or rather, luthiers who are authorised to do the work around the world. WHERE you are and how close to you is the question. I have heard of a case where they have authorised someone to do such minor work for someone because the nearest repair facility was so far away.

You MIGHT try a little TUNER CLEANER to see if it might work loose, if you have access to some and are familiar with it.

Archived