Gibson Brands Forums

New Jack White Album...

ShredAstaire

I'm listening to the new Jack White album right now. It's not out for a bit yet but iTunes is streaming the full album for free. I'm probably 5 songs in and i'm quite liking it. It's got some great groove to it so far and some nice hooks.

It's not as weird as I expected it to be...I think i will probably buy this album when it comes out.

He wrote and orchestated all the music, but didn't play all instruments himself. I was thinking about making this thread a few days back, but thought I'd wait until it was officially out... guess I was beaten to it!

I love the album, it stands out as a completely separate entity in his body of work (besides the Dead Weather-tonality of Freedom at 21 and some songs that sorta have a Raconteurs-vibe to them). My favourite tracks right now are Weep Themselves To Sleep (great use of panning and rhythm in the solo!), Blunderbuss (love that pedal steel), I Guess I Should Go To Sleep... heck, I like all of it!

Sorry for any spelling errors, wrote this post on the phone.

He's playing two shows at the Ryman and I wanted to check him out live but I am out of town that week.

Grimey's (record store) had a "Listening Party" of the album Thursday but could not make it either,

Jack White has the best job ever, he can do whatever he wants, his career will not have those dreaded "experimental phase" because his entire career is an experiment.

Well... I take that back, maybe Lou Reed can suggest making a record together....

Not really my cup o' tea but I like some of his stuff. If things were my choice then classic style heavy rock would be the music of choice these days (think KISS/Ace Frehley, Rush, Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest, early Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Mr. Big, VH, etc.). It's still 1000000000 times better than the garbage that streams the air waves nowadays.

I hope it does well.

Didja give it a listen? What did you think?

I like it Shred...."The Dead Weather" is my favorite J.W. endeavor...He's all over the map in what he does solo, bands, side projects, production,

etc.....I like his approach to guitar; Kinda brutal, old school as opposed to polished virtuosoness...Perhaps J.W. isn't everyone's cup of tea, but

his work ethic and schedule are to be admired, IMHO.....I'll buy the CD....He'd be an interesting person to meet, for sure.............

Archived