Gibson Brands Forums

Using extra ball end when changing strings.

michaeljohnr

I can see the sides of the second ball touching the bridge plate more evenly – flat to flat instead og curve to flat. Would that be the clue. . ?

Would that damage the bridgeplate less? Really curious about the benefits.

Would that damage the bridgeplate less? Really curious about the benefits.

This is not my theme, but I'm curious - flat to flat vs. round to flat.

We are down in mosquito surgery here – then again mosquito surgeons is what we are. . .

Using an extra ball end is a temporary fix used to prevent the string and bridge pin from coming out of a bridge plate that's failed due to a crack or being just plain worn out.

See tip # 4 here:

http://www.cleverjoe.com/articles/guitartalk_tricks.html

Noted luthier Frank Ford's got a great one-liner here:

"The bridge pin's only job is to ... "

http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing1.html

Hope this is helpful

Using an extra ball end is a temporary fix ...

+1

It's something you do when the bridge plate is damaged and you have to play a gig before it can be repaired. You're accepting the risk of more damage because, well, you've got to play a gig and it just can't be repaired beforehand.

Back in the day, people used extra balls for extended periods, but that was because guitars were played until they failed -- folks didn't bother with maintenance. That was then and this is now.

-- Bob R

This would seem to have the possibility to make the the situation you seem obsessed with--damage to the bridge plate--worse. I don't get it.

Obsessed with? Not obsessed, I just find it interesting.

If you are referring to my slotting the bridge, than most vintage Martins were made by guys with the same obsession. They are all slotted.

It's a practice that ceased in modern guitar manufacturing.

I'll count myself in good company and accept my obsessive condition.

I would say No... and for what reason ? ... Ive only seen it done on Ukuleles where a Bead is Used to keep the string Knot from slipping through the Bridge.. But thats It.. You can Buy ball end Strings for electrics..

Archived