Gibson Brands Forums

my latest invention, THE PORTABLE TV AMP

FenderGuy1

Fenderguy, I don't think I have heard you play clean before - it sounded good [thumbup] Your hands look the type that never get any aches and pains when playing too! I notice because my teachers always said to me that my left and right hand were very relaxed.

Matt

you want to hear me play through a 1990 Sanyo Television clean?

LOL, why not! There were clean bits in the recording above though, that's what I meant!

By the way, as it is an unusual passion, what is it you love about tvs? Is it the history behind them, the design? Probably my equivalent is collecting guitar cases! I love them - I am like a woman with handbags LMAO

Matt

I think it is a good thing that he's a tinkerer. So am I. But I never turned a TV into an amp. I turned a Genz Benz acoustic amp into a mini Plexi though! Maybe I should plug into my amp for my record player? And run it through my two Sony speaker cabs. Or plug into the BIG stereo downstairs!

I think it is a good thing that he's a tinkerer. So am I. But I never turned a TV into an amp. I turned a Genz Benz acoustic amp into a mini Plexi though! Maybe I should plug into my amp for my record player? And run it through my two Sony speaker cabs. Or plug into the BIG stereo downstairs!

I love all the possibilities when you think outside the box (no pun intended!) - a tone thread from unusual devices is a worthy thread!

Off to work now, but have a good day.

Matt

Do we have a future electrical/music engineer in our midst?

I am blown away to see that you have done this thru a television! OMG You never cease to amaze me Fender. I really like the way you play. It gets better and better all the time. Especially this last video, killer blusy single coil. My husband loves it. It's clear you love your music and have a very curious mind. Aspire to your ambitions. Some people are multi-talented and can pursue and attain more than one ambition. You are one of those individuals. Keep your vision.

Some of the "Greats" turned tape decks into pre-amps.........

Thank you, i'm gonna buy old televisions off ebay, and hook a 3'5mm to RCA cable with a 6'5mm adapter up to my multi effects pedal, and then plug the guitar into the pedal, and voila, the TV Amp

it can be done on a portable TV, you can plug only the guitar in and get a Tweed Champ style sound

I know that a TV might sound cool, but I've been experimenting with a common TOASTER & may also test things out on to a MICROWAVE OVEN. I gave up the Gas Range cuz the sound was great but the flame was making the maple neck on my Tele turn into a baked maple neck. In my testing I have ascertained a wide variance in new Chinese made toaster vs the beautiful & classic sound of a USA made Vintage Toaster. See my favs. below.

toaster-reflections2.jpg

I will admit, the toaster holds the most appeal to me as I can play a few songs whilst I make my raisin & cinnamon bagel. I have to multi-task these days to get some playing time in.

Aster

I know that a TV might sound cool, but I've been experimenting with a common TOASTER & may also test things out on to a MICROWAVE OVEN. I gave up the Gas Range cuz the sound was great but the flame was making the maple neck on my Tele turn into a baked maple neck. In my testing I have ascertained a wide variance in new Chinese made toaster vs the beautiful & classic sound of a USA made Vintage Toaster. See my favs. below.

toaster-reflections2.jpg

I will admit, the toast holds the most appeal to me as I can play a few songs whilst I make my raisin & cinnamon bagel. I have to multi-task these days to get some playing time in.

Aster

A toaster won't work.

I like that you're experimenting with tunings and slide. For the slide, try it on your 3rd or (better yet) 4th finger. This will leave the other fingers free for fretting notes and chords that you can mix in with the slide work. [thumbup]

ETA: The finger picking is a great idea too, keep working it!

A toaster won't work.

Ah now! Toasters are HOT. [flapper]

Seriously though, I do remember hacking & hooking up to one of those mid size transistor radio's back in the early 70's. Of course it blew the speaker but sounded kind of good in a way to us back then. [biggrin]

Aster

Some of the "Greats" turned tape decks into pre-amps.........

Blackmore!

And what about John Deacon's homemade transistor amp that Brian May used in the studio?

And I once read that on the KISS record Dressed To Kill, Ace played thru a homemade amp that was inside a cardboard box.

And I am sure that Frank Marino built his souped up Twin preamp!

Archived