Gibson Brands Forums

Small bodided gibson.

ditdr

Hey all thanks in advance for any advice!

Ok i am in love with gibson guitars, i have a few birds and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my custom shop j45 tv. What small bodided guitars do you guys have and whats your thoughts on them. I wanna buy a l00 or like a blues king something cheaper and small just for camp fire singing and such when i dont wanna drag along my 3000 dollar babies with me. Ive seen alot of L 0 series or blues kings going for around 1000 to 1500 on the bay and before i commit i wanna see what you guys think about them.

What im budgeting is around 1500, What i want is a small bodied guitar that can be used a little roughly in less then ideal conditions. I prefer bassier guitars (if thats even a Word)and play alot of songs with a capo.

Ive played a few L 00 pros at gc and was impressed! but i can pass on these guitars cause on ebay they go for around 1K for vintage guitars. Any insight would be appreciated and im aware of the skepticism of buying a guitar on ebay.

Thanks all The Ditdr!!

If you really want a guitar for playing rough, don't bother to spend the money for a Gibson. If you like the L-OO look and feel, go for an Epiphone EL-OO for under $500.

If you want something that can really take abuse--you can play it in the rain--and still sounds good, look at something like the carbon-fiber Composite Acoustics Cargo or other models in their line. They aren't cheap, but that's a real "field" guitar that sounds really good.

I've got an L-OO Legend, but you won't catch me playing it around the campfire or out in the rain.

I have a $99 Great Divide laminate top, thru on a bone nut, bone saddle, tweaked the action, and its really fun as a camp guitar, sounds great, enough, and it serves as my amatuer luthier experiments and repair / tweak learning guitar. If it blows up, I will not cry.

I'm with j45nick,

Get an Epiphone with the poly finish and call it a day. You can get a pretty good sounding ( good enough for campfire music for sure) Epi Hummingbird for $350.00. You'll need a good setup and stuff but what the heck for $350 it can take the abuse and you don't have to worry about stuff. I'm sure it would serve you well for YEARS that way. [thumbup]

Aster

I've owned several epi's and have never thought they were even worth the small amount of money paid for them. I cant see not spending the extra 700 and getting a genuine gibson for 1 they always will collect a fair deal upon trade or sale. ive bought to many cheap items and not been satisified or lost my shirt when trying to sell them or giving them away just because they were cheap. (not just guitars cars and stuff) i figure buy once cry once. i think i was a little unclear i just want something im not afraid to bump or bruise, where it'd kill me to see one of my birds get scuffed

Yeah plenty of Epi and other inexpensive guitars out there. That is an option.

BUT if you want a Gibson:

The L-00 TV that Paul recommends is a great small body Gibson. Alas, you won't find one on the used market since they require a special order from a dealer. I have one and Bailey Brothers in B'ham has one on order. It also doesn't fit into your budget being about $2,500.

The Legend is a most excellent guitar, perhaps the best small body Gibson now makes, but way out of your budget and never one to take out.

The (used) Blues King will fit within your budget (new $2000 used 1200 - 1500) and has a really raw blues sound. They are generally available. Oh, and btw, I have a hardly used 2012 version for sale .... with a hard case and mahogany back and sides! I had just bought it when the L-00 TV became available to me and I don't need both.

The Robert Johnson and the Arlo Guthrie 3/4 size also may fit your needs and a used one will probably be within your budget.

Good luck, I love all 3 of my small bodied Gibsons.

I've finally got my '36 L0 and am content, but I probably take notice of old L0's and L00's moreso than any other. Don't know where you get that 1k figure, but I've never seen a worthwhile example on Ebay for less than $2400. Lately they've been higher. They're fragile guitars too, and as Nick said, aren't meant for campfires...or even woodstove heated rooms.

I'd recommend a B25 because they're Xbraced and can be had for around $1000 on Ebay. They're solid little boxes. LG2's & 3's are more costly and the LG1 is most affordable, but might be too quiet for 'campfire' scenarios. But if you have to take out a feisty drunk you can bat him down and it'll probably stay in tune.

Take your time, be patient and wait for an Epiphone Blues Master. I believe these were part of Epi's Masterbilt line but am not sure. They were discontinued several years back but still pop up. These little things will give a Gibson Blues King a good run for its money and blow the Epi L-00 clear out of the water. They usually can be snagged in the $600 range but I would open my wallet and spend more mainly because they are getting harder to find as time goes on and there seem to be a growing number of folks out there trying to find one.

The idea of a Gibson campfire guitar gives me the chills. While its a great idea conceptually iu coulkdnt imagine the idea of the risk and potential damage.

That's what my Cort is for. Road warrior that can take a beating that can also give any D-18 a good run for its money. Not to mention the piece of mind it delivers of not worrying too much if it takes a fatal blow.

See I'm not so keen on Martin's I haven't played one yet that existed in the mids the way my Gibsons do. Guess the search continues I'm just looking for input from Gibson small body owners,

If you are looking for what is essentially a "beach guitar" meaning that if damaged you won't lose alot of sleep over it then why blow that kind of scratch. There are tons of good sounding, well built guitars you can get that will leave most of that $1500 in your wallet - something like a 1960s all-mahogany Harmony H165. I have been playing Gibsons for some 50 years so obviously love them but there are quite a few older Harptones, Supertones, Harmonys and Kays I would take over a 1960s Gibson B25 in a heartbeat.

Definitely not a campfire guitar - but I have a mahogany Nick Lucas Reissue from 2006 that is a great example of a small body.

Several 00s have come & gone from my stable,while it remains - a Collings 001, a Santa Cruz H13, a Huss & Dalton 00-SP - what's left standing at the end of the day? : the Gibson NL. YMMV.

For playing in adverse-elements conditions, I carry a carbon fibre CA Cargo. No worries.Again, YMMV.

Taylor GS mini. Do not confuse this guitar with a baby Taylor or Big baby. They retail for $500. All wood, Sitka top, Sapele back and sides, Hog neck ebony fretboard. Scale 23.5 ".

Played with a pick they do have a nice 'Bluesy" grunt. I have the factory Pup in mine.( optional if you do cabin jams) They really have good clarity. They are built like a tank and I am sure they will handle abuse fine. My friend is a acostic guitarist freak and when he visits me, his two favorite guitars to play are my Bird and the GS Mini.

Archived