Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Replacement

surfpup

So it looks like I have a dead Burstbucker Pro in my LP Standard Faded. It quit last week. I checked the wiring today and everything looks tight. No weak solder joints. No intermittent signal with wiggling. Neck pickup works fine. Bridge pickup dead.

Could be the switch I realize, but since I haven't been a huge fan of the BB Pros to begin with, I'm thinking if I'm gonna be de-soldering, I will just replace (at minimum) the bridge pickup.

What I want to know is who has pickups in a Les Paul that they absolutely love and what are they?

I generally like classic rock tones along the lines of Free, Cream, Zeppelin so I don't really want a Duncan JB or something like it. On the table so far are...

Duncan Pearly Gates (used these in another LP and really liked)

Gibson 57 Classic

Wolfetone Marshallhead (still using these Tim? Thoughts?)

WCR Crossroads and Fillmore (not cheap but I love the sound clips).

Opinions? Suggestions?

So it looks like I have a dead Burstbucker Pro in my LP Standard Faded. It quit last week. I checked the wiring today and everything looks tight. No weak solder joints. No intermittent signal with wiggling. Neck pickup works fine. Bridge pickup dead.

Could be the switch I realize, but since I haven't been a huge fan of the BB Pros to begin with, I'm thinking if I'm gonna be de-soldering, I will just replace (at minimum) the bridge pickup.

What I want to know is who has pickups in a Les Paul that they absolutely love and what are they?

I generally like classic rock tones along the lines of Free, Cream, Zeppelin so I don't really want a Duncan JB or something like it. On the table so far are...

Gibson 57 Classic

Opinions? Suggestions?

I had a Dimarzio dual sound in my '78 Les Paul for years and now I'm wondering why I swapped it for a Dimarzio virtual PAF.

I can't say enough good things about Wolfe's pickups. The Dr. Vintage, Marshallhead and Legend could all work equally well in your application. The Marshallhead is a little hotter than the Dr. V, but it also depends on the response you're looking for. The A5 Marshallhead has a little more bark to it, nice midrange honk. The A2 Dr. V is a little smoother, more balanced. The Legend can be all of the above, depending on how you ask him to wind it. Personally I'm going to be putting a set of Dr. V's in my LP when I get the money. But once again, it's all about preference.

Thank you. That's exactly the kind of input I am looking for. I notice there is a Marshallhead MKII now also that it slightly less hot. That might be the ticket as well.

The MKII is great too. Kind of halfway between the original Marshallhead and the Dr.V. It's got a nice smooth high end (the original has a little more bite to it) but you still get that nice low-mid honk.

Throbak pickups. I also love Bareknuckle and Rio Grande pickups. I have heard Lollar's are great but I have yet to try them.

BTW, Rio Grande BBQ bridge humbucker=early Gibbons. You know what I'm talkin' bout'!

I would de-solder the lead cut it above where the braid was solded to ground and then test the leads. I had one go bad at that solder place, the braid had shorted the hot lead.

Excellent idea. Didn't work though. Ohm reading on the neck pickup 7.6k. Ohm reading on the bridge pickup 0.0

I sold the guitar with Marshallheads last year but I had those pickups in two guitars and liked them. I don't generally like A5 magnets but these sounded great. I still have his Dr. V and Legends winds and do recommend him. Throbaks are also really, really good if you can handle the price.

There are a lot of winders out there and it's hard to pick one. My advice is google "best PAF" or "best PAF clone". You'll get a few forum threads. See which pickups interest you, narrow it down to one winder/pickup, contact that winder and explain what you're looking for, what you play, the guitar they're going in, what you don't like about the guitar now, etc. Check MLP's members classifieds often if you're willing to buy used. A lot of people sell pickups there.

How much are you looking to spend? Are you concerned about aesthetics and having the pickup look like a real PAF? Some of the higher priced pickups look much better. May or may not be important to you. For example, look at the pickup covers on Wizz or Throbak's websites. Those are more accurate looking than others.

I'm in a similar boat right now and looking to buy two sets of pickups. I've been on Tom Holmes' waiting list for over a year now. Not sure what else to get. Maybe Throbaks again or Stephens Design.

Another option you could consider; send your dead BB Pro to Wolfe, and he'll rewind it to Marshallhead specs for a Huge discount (I've seen people get a Marshallhead wind for $50 this way). It's a lot less work when all you have to do is rewind.

Lots of really good advice (almost like it was a guitar forum or something). Thanks all. Keep it coming. These WCR Crossroads are at the top of my list right now.

http://www.wcrguitar.com/crossroads.html

The Throbaks are a little steep for me, Tim - then again I do realize one gets what one one pays for generally. The rewind idea is a really good one, Ryan. I had no idea that was a possibility. I may investigate that - especially since there is a Marshallhead neck pup on eBay now that I might be able to get for a decent price. [thumbup]

Another option you could consider; send your dead BB Pro to Wolfe, and he'll rewind it to Marshallhead specs for a Huge discount (I've seen people get a Marshallhead wind for $50 this way). It's a lot less work when all you have to do is rewind.

That's odd. I've always thought it much easier to make a new pickup in to rebuild an old 1.

He says it's more labor, but he saves on parts, so the average price for a rewind + magnet swap if you want it is $65.

I think of it as all labor. A humbucker has less than $5 worth of parts in it.

That's a good deal for rewinding two coils though. I get $50 each coil for rewinds. Maybe I could send mine to Wolf. : )

I think of it as all labor. A humbucker has less than $5 worth of parts in it.

That's a good deal for rewinding two coils though. I get $50 each coil for rewinds. Maybe I could send mine to Wolf. : )

I don't think we're really in a position to question his prices. He's giving us a great deal, and his work is top-notch. His assembly guy Dave has been telling him to charge more for years, but he refuses.

Gibson 57 Classic

Opinions? Suggestions?

Hi SurfPup

I was in the exact same predicament, regarding like/dislike burst buckers.

Wondering why the Duncan JB is out of the running for you?

I swapped the stock pups in my 02 standard with just that, (A set of duncans, SH1-> neck SH4JB -> bridge.)

See photo: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/85559-my-les-pauls-1st-attempt-at-posting-photos/

(second photo)

I liked the results mostly, but the one thing I wasn't ready for was the stock volume pots didn't really work out well with the Duncan pickups, the roll-off was too extreme for me, roll back from 10 to 7, after that, they were pretty much "off" and the loss of high end was really off putting, so much so that at first I was sorry I chose them, had already sold the BB's!! (ARG!)

But after some poking around I came to the conclusion the stock volume pots didn't match up well with the duncans & wound up upgrading the volume pots to 500k CTS pots, and while I was at it, I ordered the pots that had a treble bleed circuit which enables you to set how much high end you want to bleed out when you pull back your volumes.

After I did that, I was quite pleased with the results. Maybe it's just me but, I think they work quite well for classic rock vibe.

Anyway, that was my experience, I guess you may be looking for something different,

Oh and here's where I got the pots and the TB Circuit (I've gotta get a few more for my Strat and Tele - for some reason, the stock pots and pups (490r/498t) in my 95 standard work great so no need to change them)

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/CPC500V/CTS-500K-Audio-Taper-Precision-Pot-w-Variable-Treble-Bleed-Circuit.html

I don't think we're really in a position to question his prices. He's giving us a great deal, and his work is top-notch. His assembly guy Dave has been telling him to charge more for years, but he refuses.

I'm not questioning his prices at all. I'm telling you it's dirt cheap. If he's making money with those prices than more power to him. [thumbup]

Archived