Gibson Brands Forums

The 20 year light bulb

Rabs

For $60 it had better last 20 years :)

A prize-winning light bulb that lasts for 20 years is going on sale in the US on Sunday - also known as Earth Day.

Made by Dutch electronics giant Philips, the bulb swaps filaments for light-emitting diodes to provide illumination.

Using LEDs endows the light with a long life and a hefty price tag. The first versions are set to cost $60 (£37).

Philips has arranged discounts with shops that will sell the bulb meaning some could buy it for only $20 (£12).

_59772420_philipsledbulb.jpg

full story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17788178

Guest farnsbarns

I suppose they must have invented it 20 years ago and have tested it until it recently failed? No? Oh, only I remember being told the energy saver bulbs would last 10 years but they're so dim and yellow after a year they're unusable. At that price I might bu ONE, if its still going after 20 years I'll buy more. I think that might represent a flaw in their price point.

I suppose they must have invented it 20 years ago and have tested it until it recently failed? No? Oh, only I remember being told the energy saver bulbs would last 10 years but they're so dim and yellow after a year they're unusable. At that price I might bu ONE, if its still going after 20 years I'll buy more. I think that might represent a flaw in their price point.

No worries they have an 18 month guarantee... [blink]

I hate them I hate them I hate them with a passion. They put out crappy light that gives people headaches. They don't work well it all in the winter time until they warm up. They contain mercury. They are ridiculously expensive compared to an incandescent bulb. And I have had 2 of them catch fire in my house. I will not use curly cfls in my home.

I have spirals in the most part of my house and they've been going for 5 years, I did break 3 until I realize that they are delicate and you must screw them in by the base not the glass part.

I bought them to save money, whether they are "green" or not i don't really care.

Let me say this about that, as I have some experience in this area (I started off my career in lighting as an engineer for Philips years ago). Also, I own a lighting design/wholesale distributorship for various vendors. Europe has a kw rate in the 50 -60 cent/kilowatt hour. That really allows for some saving, and also very limited generating capacity. USA most rates are 3-13 cents/kwh and outside of the granola crunchers areas in CA, capacity.

The lumberyard products are defiantly P.O.S. !!! We started off selling excellent compact fluorescents back in the 80's. Looked near perfect in color temperature, and quality of light. They were warm color temp. 3000 degrees Kelvin (same as a 70-100w light bulb). Lasted forever (which I hated cuz you didn't get very many sales after they went in). Yes, they were made in either USA or Belgium. Great product. Then came the vendor Litetronics, that invented the spiral compact fluorescent. Made in the USA and was EXCELLENT 15,000 hrs and really looked/worked well. Of course these were commercial grade products and sold for $20 in quantity. Litetronics didn't patent the spiral notion (the owner still kicks himself for that). After about 4-5 yrs after invent, a Asian living here in US started a business that went to China for product manufacturing. Price dropped, specs dropped, and guess what, the quality REALLY dropped. Then the race to the bottom as other vendors got on board. Now they hit the lumberyards with total junk. 4 packs for $6-$8 even. The packages say anywhere from 3000 - 8000 hrs for life. The color quality, and construction crap! Also, they came out with the Gosh awful 4,100K & 6,000K (really blue light) for color temps and didn't advise people when/where to use those. Now I see those glarey, edgey, blue dang things everywhere.

The LED's are the story all over again. We get in the finest made and they are getting closer to looking like incandescent lamps (bulbs) but they ain't there yet. So what they promote are the 5,500k-6,500k blue looking ones again. Easier to do those and not worry about matching the look of incandescent. Don't get me wrong, LED's have their place for sure. Often excellent in what they can do (especially in colored lighting for coves & stage or commercial applications. EXIT SIGNS, Marker & other signage, and some really hard to get to lighting. Also, nothing does red, blue, & green colors (and secondary colors too) as rich or vibrant as LED. In my home, NO WAY. There are so many ways for people to really save energy vs getting undies in bunches about a few light bulbs residential settings. Really silly and just makes people "feel" like they are doing something. This opinion is based on the science of lighting & 30 yrs. designing/engineering lighting & real energy savings. I know I can sell a ton of this stuff, but people PAY me to tell them the straight dope on things and I honor that trust.

Aster

My home has a ton of recessed and cove lighting as well as art light reading lights and every other kind of light you could imagine. And there all low voltage and run by a centralized computer and power source with touch screen throughout the house each light is a home run wire back to a large cabinet in the house control room and you can set up any kind of lighting scenario you might want. was expensive to build it that way expense expensive to install even at cost (my brothers own a high end custom electrical and lighting company) but it's sure worth it in the long run not only does controlled and smart lighting really make a home look nice and easier to live in but the light put out almost no heat even the brightest lights are merely warm to the touch even after hours of use. Try that with a normal lightbulb and you better have burn ointment and bandaids ready. The reduction in heat is a huge deal for us at least here in Arizona the last thing you need is a ton of lightbulbs heating your house up I'm sure that's the big saving for us what we save in air-conditioning from not having to compensate for all those miniature heaters.

I wouldn't ever recommend everyone get this kind of fancy system just because of the high cost. But boy it's nice and the technology should be used a whole lot more than it is. People seem to be afraid of low voltage for some reason but I don't know why we run all our lights at 80% or less because otherwise there just too bright. I am really glad they have extra long life I'd hate to buy them all again I think we counted 92 light bulbs in the house when we decided to count them one time.

Yeah Retro, that's the "George Jetson" lighting controls & automation, theaters & distributed audio/video stuff we do around Iowa with my other business. You are right that some of it gets really pricy!! That's the way to really save some energy with having some convenience to. I spend most of my time with that company the last several years as I love the work.

What's so goofy about the EPACT (Energy Policy Act) is that the phased out lamps (bulbs) can't be made in the USA. Ah yes, BUT they can be made in India & China and imported.

I can say that the LED's and the "beaming" they do (when you're right on axis or dead on so to speak) really do hurt my eyes. I have heard about some of the studies. They told us for years that Agent Orange was perfectly harmless as well.

Aster

I bet you've never seen a REALLY GOOD CFL. But they do & did exist and I'd agree with you on the ones easy to find at the Box Stores.

On the LED topic. You're looking at the LCD screen side & backlit with LED's not looking directly at the LED source generator. Big difference. Most all "indirect" light sources are okay to look at for the eyes.

Aster

I love the spiral energy efficient bulbs. I don't know why you guys have had such bad experiences. The ones I bought several years ago are still going strong.

It could be because some members put them in their amps and push them till they break. :unsure:

I recently had some extensive electrical work done in my house and the electrician was appalled when he saw that every light socket had one of the newer curly glass bulbed so-called long life bulbs in it.He told me something that the manufacturers never tell anyone and that's a few things that have turned me from buying them.First-if you break one and vacumm it up you will have to condemn your vacumm cleaner as it would continue to blow around the mercury residue that it picked up for years to come.Second-If you break one on carpet the whole carpet would have to come up to completely rid the area of mercury contamination. Third-They aren't the energy savers that they are hyped to be as they don't generate any heat whatsoever and consequently your household heat would have to be turned up and that would negate any perceived energy savings.He told me that regular incandescent bulbs give off more heat than people think and add 2 or 3 degrees temp to the home.Fourth-He said that you will never see one of these mercury vapour bulbs in an electrician's home as they know the real facts about these bulbs and don't buy into the hype of the bulb's makers.

Your right on being told those things I'm sure Bonzo. To paraphrase our current V.P, "Electicians, God love 'em" they have part of the story right. I know the Feds have gone overboard with the fears of Mercury. We use to play with it in our hands as kids and they had it in school. Not that I endorse doing that anymore. You know, that anyone with fillings has a 95% chance they are Mercury amalgams and the EPA & Feds don't seem to give a rip about them leaching into our bodies that way. But with a light bulb? Heavens, look out. I would just throw out the bag on my HEPA vac. and put a new one in it. I'm sure I eat more merc. in seafood than I'll get from a broken lamp (bulb).

It's true that incandescent lamps (bulbs) create heat. It's the major component from "incandescent" or glowing from the heater filament. More importantly however, when designing an area's lighting we have to calculate what the cooling offset will be from the lighting. What you save in "heating" from lighting vs. what extra you pay to "cool" or offset the heat from lighting is not equal. It can be about a 2 to 1 ratio of cooling with the cooling be much more of a waste of energy. Furnaces, even old ones, are at least 65%-75% efficient (now they are 92%-95% efficient). Older A/C units are about 40%-60% efficient and newer ones may get into the 70's. So what you save in heating is rapidly eaten up if you ever cool with A/C over a years time.

the heat is exactly why I use low voltage and LED the 2-3 degrees regular bulbs raise the temperature in your home probably cost me close to 50 bucks a month in air conditioning bills here in hell I mean Arizona.

Surfer, it's true that LV MR-16's are more efficient than say a 90PAR38/flood and brighter too. 50 watts is still 50 watts whether it's from a transistor radio, heater, guitar amp or light bulb. I like to use MR-16's in the homes we design the lighting and automation for. Also, as LED's get better in color & output and if they can get some of the other things cured as well, you can always switch over to those and realize lower A/C costs too. When it's hot, do you have your lighting control programmed to dim all the lights say 10%-15%? Most of the time, whatever the setting is, unless reading, it isn't that noticeable unless you compare full to dim. Saves some good A/C offset on that too.

Main thing, IMTO (I My Trained Opinion) is to have the lighting you need for every task you perform at home or work. If that's not important, we could all just wear miners helmet lights & safe $$. Really inconvenient, but really "green!" Course it could be "BLACK & BLUE" after you run into things around the house. :rolleyes:

Aster

Archived