Gibson Brands Forums

NEW chAMP DAY

badbluesplayer

Every dog has his day. This morning I found a Champ.

'78 chassis with '79 xfmrs. Paid $225.00. Works fine, sounds good. Speaker is some kind of Chinese thing and needs an upgrade - suggestions welcome.

Here it is:

DSC_0001.jpg

Oh yeah!!

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Looks clean - I haven't looked inside yet:

DSC_0007.jpg

It looks like it had some work done on it by Rover:

DSC_0008.jpg

[tongue][biggrin][thumbup][laugh][love]

I have a silver-face 70s Vibrochamp. I replaced the original radio-style speaker with a Weber alnico and it just couldn't get any better.

Highly recommended! Fender are putting these Weber 8" speakers in their new Vibrochamp re-issues.

It is just possible to cram a 10" speaker in there if you enlarge the hole, I know someone who has a Champ with this. Doesn't improve the look though.

The tone of my amp was improved 100% when I put in the Weber and I've even done pub gigs with it.

Thanks for the replies.

The speaker that's in there appears to be a Peavey part.

I think I'll go with a Weber 8A100T. I'm already a Weber guy, so that was the easy part. I'm not really wanting it to sound bigger or louder, so I'm just going to stay with an 8 incher. I think the alnico with the 1" coil will be right. I think the cone with a few ribs will be right. I don't want a plain cone - too flabby, but I don't want it too big sounding.

Every dog has his day. This morning I found a Champ.

'78 chassis with '79 xfmrs. Paid $225.00. Works fine, sounds good. Speaker is some kind of Chinese thing and needs an upgrade - suggestions welcome.

Here it is:

DSC_0001.jpg

Oh yeah!!

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Looks clean - I haven't looked inside yet:

DSC_0007.jpg

It looks like it had some work done on it by Rover:

DSC_0008.jpg

[tongue][biggrin][thumbup][laugh][love]

Obviously the dog thought it was a 'Fender Chomp'!

The amp had a nice Fender branded GE 7025 preamp tube in there. It turned out to be the best sounding tube, once I swapped out a bunch of 'em. So that's a plus.

RCA 7025 sounded pretty close

Two different new Tung Sol 12ax7s were also really nice sounding

Mullard reissue - What was I thinking?

Once I put the GE back in there and A/B'd with the RCA a few times I didn't even try any others.

There's a Sylvania branded rectifier in there. Probably the original.

It had a Sovtek 6V6 in there which I replaced. I had some JJs and a Tung Sols so I tried them and the Tung Sol has a nicer crunch to it, so I have one of those in there.

[biggrin]

Years ago a buddy of mine had one of the first SF Champs "68-'69 ? and a Silvertone that I believe had 4 pickups,I've been meaning to phone him and see if he still has it. He got it for Christmas back when that's what every adolescent boy wanted but his interest was short lived and it spent most of the time in the closet.It would be interesting to see if he still had them and would be interested in selling them.Those little Champs were surprisingly good sounding-of course that's old news to mosst people.

Archived