Gibson Brands Forums

Headstock

Philly

Hey Guys just changed the strings on my J45 and put a scratch on the headstock. Does anyone have a an idea as to how to protect this from happening other than being just more careful.

Yup -- just exercising some more care is the best remedy! [wink]

Fred

They're such meanies sometimes. Some of us are just cack-handed (aside from guitar playing LOL), and worse BECOME cack-handed when the pressure is on not to do something like scratch the headstock. My tips.

1. A bit of help to relax you might make you mess up less. How about taking the cloth that you wipe the fretboard down with and inserting it between the headstock and top of the post where and when you are threading and unthreading strings? Lay it flat under the adjacent strings, and wrap slightly around the bottom of the post you are changing strings on. If you set it flat enough, you should be able to work without the cloth getting in the way, and any minor abrasions should be avoided if you accidentally drop the string or if it moves unexpectedly.

2. Buy a VOS guitar, as they already have slight abrasions in the finish. <_<

They're such meanies sometimes. Some of us are just cack-handed (aside from guitar playing LOL), and worse BECOME cack-handed when the pressure is on not to do something like scratch the headstock. My tips.

1. A bit of help to relax you might make you mess up less. How about taking the cloth that you wipe the fretboard down with and inserting it between the headstock and top of the post where and when you are threading and unthreading strings? Lay it flat under the adjacent strings, and wrap slightly around the bottom of the post you are changing strings on. If you set it flat enough, you should be able to work without the cloth getting in the way, and any minor abrasions should be avoided if you accidentally drop the string or if it moves unexpectedly.

2. Buy a VOS guitar, as they already have slight abrasions in the finish. <_<

Thanks , Sounds like a plan.

Hey Guys just changed the strings on my J45 and put a scratch on the headstock. Does anyone have a an idea as to how to protect this from happening other than being just more careful.

...that what we call FREE Relicing!

[flapper]

Archived