Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny Cash Model

JuanCarlosVejar

I didn't know there was a Cash model. I know he played some J200's with his name inlayed on them, but am not aware of Gibson doing a Cash model along the lines of Martin doing a couple of Cash guitars (the black D35 and several years ago a D42). My primary interest in the super jumbos was due to Cash playing them. I'd be interested in hearing any info someone might have on these guitars. I'd like to see Gibson do an official Cash guitar. A lot of people don't know that he played them a great deal, on and off the stage. [thumbup]

I didn't know there was a Cash model. I know he played some J200's with his name inlayed on them, but am not aware of Gibson doing a Cash model along the lines of Martin doing a couple of Cash guitars (the black D35 and several years ago a D42). My primary interest in the super jumbos was due to Cash playing them. I'd be interested in hearing any info someone might have on these guitars. I'd like to see Gibson do an official Cash guitar. A lot of people don't know that he played them a great deal, on and off the stage. [thumbup]

Sorry Larry . The Martin model is the one I am refering to ... Gibson will probably never do a cash J 200 .

has anyone played the Martin JC model ?

thanks

JC

'Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day And tell the world that everything's okay But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black'

Well, I loved the man but its just a rosewood/sitka Martin dread, if thats your thing.

JC -

If you don't get a report on it, I'll go down to Elderly (just a few blocks away B) ), play the one they've got there, and give you a report (if it's the one you're looking for - JC Special Edition D-35).

"Johnny Cash spoke his mind through his music until the end of his days. Martin honors him with this Commemorative Edition, similar to the D-35 that he played for nearly 20 years. - D-size body of Indian rosewood & Engelmann spruce, 3-piece back, scalloped 1/4" braces and forward-shifted X-brace, 45-style abalone rosette, ivoroid binding with multilayered black/white top trim. Modified low oval neck, ebony fretboard (25.4" scale, 1-11/16" nut), star-shaped position inlays are abalone shell bordered with white pearl, bound peghead with old-style decal, chrome Grover tuning gears. Complete black gloss finish, Martin Geib style hardshell case with black lining & hardware. Inside label is numbered in sequence (no total) and signed by C.F. Martin IV & Cash's son, John Carter Cash."

D35JC_front.jpg. D35JC_body-front.jpg

D35JC_body-back.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6K1W5__cvk

JC -

If you don't get a report on it, I'll go down to Elderly (just a few blocks away B) ), play the one they've got there, and give you a report (if it's the one you're looking for - JC Special Edition D-35).

"Johnny Cash spoke his mind through his music until the end of his days. Martin honors him with this Commemorative Edition, similar to the D-35 that he played for nearly 20 years. - D-size body of Indian rosewood & Engelmann spruce, 3-piece back, scalloped 1/4" braces and forward-shifted X-brace, 45-style abalone rosette, ivoroid binding with multilayered black/white top trim. Modified low oval neck, ebony fretboard (25.4" scale, 1-11/16" nut), star-shaped position inlays are abalone shell bordered with white pearl, bound peghead with old-style decal, chrome Grover tuning gears. Complete black gloss finish, Martin Geib style hardshell case with black lining & hardware. Inside label is numbered in sequence (no total) and signed by C.F. Martin IV & Cash's son, John Carter Cash."

D35JC_body-back.jpg

Big K ,

that would be awesome of you so please do so when you have the time .

Buc told me Southpaws has a JC on the wall and I am thinking about getting a Martin Dread .

so that might be an option .

JC

Welp, I played it for about 30 minutes or so - I must've hit a lull as there was no one else plucking/strumming away. It was very easy to pick out among all those natural finish Martins hanging on the wall - all black, big and bold. It's everything you'd expect from an upper end Martin. The sound/tone is pretty even for rosewood and it's got volume to spare - very much like my D45 in that regard. Excellent workmanship and nice mix of high end trim packages. With the 3-piece back, there are two back braces (instead one) that go from the neck block along the angles of the back joints to the butt end. The Grover tuners worked as expected. The frets were finished nicely and seated in an very nice ebony fretboard with small star markers. It has the low oval neck profile (not a V or soft-V). It played like butter and the notes are very clear all the way up the fretboard. Great sustain and great sounding overtones. Finger vibrato was very easy to do. It had great response to the strength and attack angle of the medium pick I used. Great sound/tone with fingerpicking too. Also it had a very nice thump in response to a hard palm mute that I liked. Really, I was very tempted and if I didn't have my D-45 I could've bought it right then and there. Of course the Johnny Cash association and trim package has the price up, but this guitar is definitely worth investigating. Maybe Buc can check the lefty out for you.

Welp, I played it for about 30 minutes or so - I must've hit a lull as there was no one else plucking/strumming away. It was very easy to pick out among all those natural finish Martins hanging on the wall - all black, big and bold. It's everything you'd expect from an upper end Martin. The sound/tone is pretty even for rosewood and it's got volume to spare - very much like my D45 in that regard. Excellent workmanship and nice mix of high end trim packages. With the 3-piece back, there are two back braces (instead one) that go from the neck block along the angles of the back joints to the butt end. The Grover tuners worked as expected. The frets were finished nicely and seated in an very nice ebony fretboard with small star markers. It has the low oval neck profile (not a V or soft-V). It played like butter and the notes are very clear all the way up the fretboard. Great sustain and great sounding overtones. Finger vibrato was very easy to do. It had great response to the strength and attack angle of the medium pick I used. Great sound/tone with fingerpicking too. Also it had a very nice thump in response to a hard palm mute that I liked. Really, I was very tempted and if I didn't have my D-45 I could've bought it right then and there. Of course the Johnny Cash association and trim package has the price up, but this guitar is definitely worth investigating. Maybe Buc can check the lefty out for you.

Thanks Big K .

I'll talk to Buc about it .

did the guitar have electronics built in ?

JC

I know he played some J200's with his name inlayed on them, but am not aware of Gibson doing a Cash model along the lines of Martin doing a couple of Cash guitars ...

The can build you one that looks just like his, except that it won't say "Johnny Cash" on the fretboard. They've done one for John Carter Cash that just says "Cash", so they know the colors and pickguard shape and all. Yours should have your name (or maybe "Missouri Picker") anyway!

-- Bob R

JC -

D35JC_body-back.jpg

That guitar is the brightest sounding Martin I've ever heard. I bet the strings are brand new....

Archived