Gibson Brands Forums

Peterson tuner.....wow.

bobby b

Well I'm always keen to check out a new gadget, so I bought one of these Peterson StroboClip tuners and I must say, after adjusting to how the display works, I am impressed. The sweetened tuning for guitar is indeed a shade different from my other tuners as far as the display reading goes and to the ear it sounds just fine. I have one of the Intellitouch clip-on tuners and my beef with it had always been it's made for righthanded players! On a lefthanded headstock the damn thing is upsidedown! The Peterson is setup better and works right-side up on a southpaw guitar! Hurrah! I like it!

• 2 months later...

I just had a look at the Peterson website video on the clip-on tuner Here

Not wanting to sound negative but what the hell is "Sweetened tuning? Sounds like a bunch of marketing speak to me. A tuner is a tuner right? How the hell can a tuner adjust to each individual guitar? Is it a robot?

:unsure:

no it's for real.. I have one of the original VS1 tuners that came out about 10 years ago. I think it has 6 different temperaments you can set. Using the GTR setting will compensate just enough to correct the the quirk between the G and B string. it's for real. They are hard to top, they are extremely precise.

I recently bought 2 of the new Snark 'super tight' models from buy.com for $24.... much improved from the earlier models. They are great for what they are but the Peterson is still the most accurate and versatile around imo.

I got a strobo.flip 6 or so months ago. I tune quite a few different stringed instruments. I often tune using harmonics, but use the strobo to get my first reference string exactly right. Occasionally, when in a hurry or when my ears just don't seem to be hearing smaller discrepancies, I will tune entirely by the strobe. The accuracy and precision are way beyond any thing I ever got from conventional tuners. I still keep the old intellitouch for quick checks in jams. I haven't yet used the sweetened tunings, but may experiment with them some time. Because it is so accurate, it's also a good trainer to use in refining my ear tuning.

There are other strobe tuners, and I've only used one of them. I don't see myself ever being without a strobe now that I've used one. YMMV, of course.

I have two of the pedal tuners (the Strobostomp2 and the latest Classic Stomp) and have been a Peterson devotee since the Strobostomp2 was released...they're incredible. I don't use the sweetened tunings personally, but they're incredibly accurate and the DIs-particularly the one on the Classic Stomp-are second to none.

I've never tried the clip-on ones but will pick one up at some point, it would be great for sessions etc.

"Sweetened tunings" are the REAL tunings. I won't try to explain all this because it could take volumes - you'll have to research it yourself. But, ever since Bach (The Well Tempered Clavier) everybody has been using tempered tunings which are really practical because they're based on equal intervals between notes but the tempered intervals are slightly different than the natural intervals. So standard tunings are always a little bit off and how much the different intervals are off depends on what key you're playing in. Tempered tunings might be a little off but they work equally well in every key.

Archived