Gibson Brands Forums

So Who Won The Battle of New Orleans?

zombywoof

I think it was a group called "we" but I don't know who "they" were! :rolleyes:

Yep, Always someone with their undies in a bunch. I don't give the Brits a break on stuff like that cuz I are one 3 gen removed. Course now, I'm not an English-American. Just an American.

Aster

I wonder if they still marched in nice easy to shoot at lines or if they learned their lesson on that in the last one?

Guess their wireless server was down on the war over posting?

As a kid I always wanted to see the gator filled with cannonballs & a powdered behind. he he

Aster

I think it was Johnny Horton that wrote that song :-" Enjoyed His Music till He died in a plane crash / Who Ever Win's a War ](*,)

Lyrics were by Jimmy Driftwood, melody an old fiddle tune called the 8th of January. Horton died in a car crash, not plane crash.

Brad

The U.S. did. Great Britian wanted the land we'd just aquired in the Louisiana Purchase. They were trying to take New Orleans. Andrew Jackson led the charge that stopped the seige.

Jimmy Driftwood, as I recall, was a history teacher. He wrote the song to help his students learn the information. He used the melody to the fiddle tune, '8th of January'. The Battle of New Orleans actually took place on the 8th of January, 1814.

The U.S. did. Great Britian wanted the land we'd just aquired in the Louisiana Purchase. They were trying to take New Orleans. Andrew Jackson led the charge that stopped the seige.

To the British, American was just an annoying sideshow. The UK was not after the land acquired in the Lousiana Purchase. Their plan was to blockade the mouth of the Mississippi by taking the port of New Orleans which was part of a general strategy to disrupt trade and privateering and in particular the supply of raw materials to France.

Archived