Gibson Brands Forums

Cello.

LarryUK

Not guitar, I know. But I've always loved the sound of the Cello. So, I've booked some lessons. I start next Monday.

Does anyone on here have any advice on it? Does anyone play?

I really think that string instruments sound best. I find Piano and brass cold.

Pick up some of the CDs that Yo Yo Ma has released,he is especially brilliant with his interpretations of Bach's works for cello.He also did the great Silk Road Ensembles and his recording for the soundtrack of Memoirs of a Geisha he did with Itzhak Perlman and John Williams are beautiful.Paganini also wrote some incredible works for cello that have been recorded by various artists.

Would I be out of line pointing out that piano is also a "string" instrument (perhaps not generally classified as such)? Never mind...

A well played Cello is a beautiful thing. Enjoy, I hope it gives you the satisfaction you're looking for. Please do give us your impressions once you've gotten started, it would be good to hear views of someone taking up a very different instrument (the whole lack of frets to me seems like a "freeing" thing).

Would I be out of line pointing out that piano is also a "string" instrument (perhaps not generally classified as such)? Never mind...

Hmmm...........well, being the pedant that I am (and not that it matters) I'd just point out that the Piano is always considered to be a part of the Percussion section. But from your post I suspect you knew that already, T Bone.

P.

Hmmm...........well, being the pedant that I am (and not that it matters) I'd just point out that the Piano is always considered to be a part of the Percussion section. But from your post I suspect you knew that already, T Bone.

P.

Actually, I did not! Makes sense though, with all those hammers hitting the strings (but I DID know it wasn't categorized as stringed instrument [wink] ).

I think the fingering on the Cello would be fun. The bow and it's many nuances would (for me) be quite the challenge I think. I wonder if I'd approach it right or left handed? (I am left handed but play guitar right handed).

Good luck with the lessons !!

I particularly like the cello in the String Quartet and Piano Trio format...less keen on the solo concerti and sonatas...apart from Bach and Shostakovich...

One of my heroes, Jack Bruce was pretty good on cello...quite a few bass players I have known started on cello at school...reading Bass Clef on a melody instrument can be interesting [biggrin]

There is the interesting Silent Cello from Yamaha

And the Violectra Cello, similar in concept to Nigel Kennedy's electric violin...made by David Bruce Johnson at Moseley Violins

I think the first 'rock' cello was featured in ELO

Dig it..Pluck it..Scrape it.... :blink: [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Love me some cello. In fact, I played it in our high school marching band.

Had a hell of a time keeping up with the rest of the band. Everytime a put my chair down and got ready to play. I had to pick it up and run after the rest of the band. #-o

Seriously though, the cello is one of my favorite instruments. It's one of the reasons I picked up the bass in the first place.

On David Bowie's Glass Spider Tour, they opened the show in Anaheim with cellos playing Purple Haze. It was great. I'll never forget it. Most of the people around me at the time were like, "What the hell is this?" I'm like, "It's Purple Haze."

Played for 7 years before stopping in high school - actually played in the high school orchestra while in elementary school. Regret not sticking with it, although guitar has been great as well. No sound quite a cello, and when you start getting a good tone over time it is a wonderful thing.

A word of advice - get a full length mirror and practice in front of it. Bowing is a big key to making progress, and I made big strides after my teacher suggested practicing in front of the mirror so that I could constantly check the angle. Built consistency quickly after that and it made a big difference. Best of luck with the lessons.

An indispensable recording for cello or any other stringed instrument fanatic is the recording of a 6 CD set of Mozart's Complete String Quartets done by the famed American Stringed Quartet on a matched set of 4 Stradivarius violins,viola and cello from the collection of Dr. Herbert Axelrod.This recording is just sublime and a benchmark performance of these pieces.

This set of instruments was made to compliment each other both physically and sonically and are among Antonio Stradivari's finest instruments.

Cool instrument. Great stuff. Wish I could play one.

If you really like the sound, give it a go !!

There are excellent cheap cellos coming out of China nowadays

Tune C,G,D,A...low to high...

Adjust spike for comfort

Rosin the bow

No excuses [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

This. [thumbup] Maybe when I'm old and retired I'll take it up - or the violin. Always loved both. Do they make them with frets?

I don't know if it's common practice for beginners (it probably is) but I've seen some learners with fine chalk-marks across the 'board to show where 'frets' would be to help learn correct intonation and fingering.

P.

I don't know if it's common practice for beginners (it probably is) but I've seen some learners with fine chalk-marks across the 'board to show where 'frets' would be to help learn correct intonation and fingering.

P.

I think it is common. I teach in an arts school and our beginning strings students often have this - or a fine line of pinstripe tape on their necks. I keep hoping they will allow me to join the class one day.

I think it is common. I teach in an arts school and our beginning strings students often have this - or a fine line of pinstripe tape on their necks. I keep hoping they will allow me to join the class one day.

Pull Rank!

All this talk of cellos has even had me looking on the 'bay. As Versatile says, there are some simply beautiful instruments available from China for £618 ($999) plus shipping.

Each morning when I'm walking my 7-y-o to school at the bottom of the road we pass a house where, as often as not, the lady-of-the-house (I think she's a music teacher) is sitting in the window-bay playing her cello. If she's not on the cello she's sitting at her baby-grand piano right next to her 'cello-chair'. It always looks so tranquil.

Perhaps I should ditch a Lester...

:-k

P.

Archived