Gibson Brands Forums

The hummbucker shaking

eelir

Hi,

I recently got my Epiphone G400 Ltd. Ed. 1966 faded worn cherry. It all sound good on small Laney (15 wats i think). However i noticed that neck hummbucker shakes (trembles) when i hit a D note wherever on whatever string. Now i do not notice any sound in amp, but i can hear it trembling, kind of humming sound. Is this normal? If not, does this mean it is loose? Can it be fixed easily so I do not need to drive to the shop?

Thanks a lot.

BTW I love it :D:D:D

No, it's not normal. Pups shouldn't move around when you play.

I have a regular G400 with the small PG. It has pup rings. I know yours does not have pup rings. This might have something to do with it.

But since I can't look at one, I can't really help. Sorry. [unsure]

There are many members here that own the same guitar as you though. So hopefully someone will chime in soon. [thumbup]

Oh, I almost forgot, Welcome to the forum ! [biggrin]

No, it's not normal. Pups shouldn't move around when you play.

I have a regular G400 with the small PG. It has pup rings. I know yours does not have pup rings. This might have something to do with it.

But since I can't look at one, I can't really help. Sorry. [unsure]

There are many members here that own the same guitar as you though. So hopefully someone will chime in soon. [thumbup]

Oh, I almost forgot, Welcome to the forum ! [biggrin]

Thanks for your reply and welcomes :). I do not actually see it moving, i just hear this humming (vibrating) sound, and when i touch the pickup it stops, so thats how i know where it is coming from. I am not so experienced with el. guitars, this is my first, though i have an el. bass for a while, its pick have a small movement when touched, so does this guitars picks. I am not sure if that is ok as well.

I will wait couple of days if someone has some nice tip, otherwise i go to the shop i bought it and maybe the warranty covers that and they fix it.

Thanks for tips. I think i solved the problem by tightening the two screws on the side of PU just a bit. I suppose that changes the height of the PU and probably could worsen the tone a bit, but this sound stopped. I really do not notice any change in sound so i think that it is OK.

That particular pick has a tiny small dent that i did not notice when i bought the guitar since it had this plastic sticker on top. I thought of taking it back, but just was too much hustle for me. I think that was the problem, it probably loosened it up a bit by the hit.

@Blueman - what kind of springs are those? I am kind of noob, and want to learn things slowly so i fix my guitar. I will be moving in about a year to other country where not many music shops or guitar experts exist so i must do this things myself.

Is that the guitar in your avatar pic?

Anyway, those screws on each side not only hold the pickup in, they are meant to be adjustable. You adjust them for the BEST sound, whatever sounds best. Too close to the strings will make it sound too compressed, and too far away may sound too thin. Experiment.

As for the vibrating, it isn't really a problem unless it is affecting things negatively. So, I wouldn't think it is something you need to fix or worry about unless you want to. IF you need to, (or want to), it is pretty easy.

The reason it is vibrating is because the frequencies the pickup or guitar want to vibrate at are the same as the frequencies you are making when you hit those certain notes. You can change that by stretching the springs that hold the pickups in, or changing the springs to different ones, or changing the materiel to something like rubber tubing (Fenders use this). Or, as suggested, put some foam or similar materiel under the pickup.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think i will spend more time on this forum.

Yes that is the guitar i got, it is Epiphone G400 Limited Edition 1966 Faded Worn Cherry. I really wanted to have faded worn cherry, not the glossy look. I was not going to buy a guitar, just entered the shop with a friend of mine, and we both took two of them left in the shop. One thing that is a not to my taste is the neck being a bit thinner. I got the impression the SG have thicker necks. Maybe it is just this model. I think my hand gets less tired with a bit fatter necks. Otherwise i love it. Even though my life circumstances do not allow me to practice so much, I like it so much that i use every chance to play it.

Here is the pic:

sam0092a.th.jpg

@Blueman - what kind of springs are those? I am kind of noob, and want to learn things slowly so i fix my guitar. I will be moving in about a year to other country where not many music shops or guitar experts exist so i must do this things myself.

The height adjustment springs are long and narrow, just a little bigger than the screw diameter. PM me with your address and I can send you some for free.

Archived