Gibson Brands Forums

Any Huns around?

btoth76

I've a friend from Budapest whose name is Attila. He is, obviously, referred to as Attila the Hun(garian).

Seriously.

P.

Hello Pippy! Attila is quite common name here - for the obvious reasons, and in Turkey as well. Cheers... Bence

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Are there any Gibson fans around at the Forums from the East/Middle-European region? Cheers... Bence

well I do know here in Iowa we will have some (huns) hungarian partridge around from time to time! :-" :-"

well I do know here in Iowa we will have some (huns) hungarian partridge around from time to time! :-" :-"

Hello D-Poland! Not really getting Your joke! I've started this topic to find friends... Cheers... Bence

I live in Canada, but, My parents immigrated from Hungary.

My buddy in High School used to call me, (affectionatly), "Gorog the Hungarian".

He thought it was hilarious!

Hello Jeepaddict! "Görög" - isn't it? The way Your friend called You is funny indeed. "Görög" means "greek"... :) Cheers... Bence

I was in Istanbul last summer and was very impressed, what a great city... Heard some live music too in a local bar. Was very different, actually it was just a keyboard player with a band in a box thing happening and a singer. They needed a guitar player, preferably one with a Gibby and some up tempo tunes... Not really sure if this fits in your thread, I live in Spain...

Hungary....very interesting country with rich history

Goulash and 'Bulls' Blood' red wine

Great climate

River Danube running through

Lake Balaton...holiday spot with 'extra warmth' [thumbup]

I have quite a few classical CD's on the 'Hungaroton' label

Bartok...Kodaly...Dohnanyi...

Great folk music tradition... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

PS...Gotta love a cimbalom [biggrin]

Hello Versatile! Thanks for Your kind words on my country. I think cimbalom is a really unique stringed instrument, always wondered how it's possible to play that rapidly as gipsy musician do play them. There are some other lesser known hungarian instruments: "tárogató" (archeic form of clarinet), "citera" (like a pedal steel guitar), "duda" (is like the scottish bagpipes)...This is in hungarian, but at least the pictures show something about our rich musical heritage: http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magyar_n%C3%A9pi_hangszerek. :) Cheers... Bence

My wife's grandparents were born in Pest.

Two years ago we brought my mother-in-law to Budapest for her 80th birthday.

I loved Budapest, the people are extremely civilized, the city is full of good places to eat and wonderful music (even many of the street musicians were very talented). We took the trolleys, subway, and buses and got all around the town with no problem. The people we met were very kind to us and treated us like welcome guests. We saw most of the required sites, the art museums, historical museums, Franz List's house, Churches, Synagogues, Parliament Building (saw the Dalai Lama arrive while we were touring), Margaret Island, Danube bend, and everything but the baths (Leilani's mom has Parkinson's and the day we had plans for the Baths she wasn't doing very well - the airline lost her luggage and she was running out of medication).

We were even lucky enough to attend a concert by the Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra featuring one of my favorite romantic era pieces of music, Dvorak's Symphony #9. The orchestra did a fantastic job with the music, and the audience was much more respectful of the music and the orchestra than any American audience I've ever seen. It was the highlight of the vacation.

My mother-in-law was delighted with the traditional foods that tasted like her mother made it and went on a search for the perfect Ratesh -- and found it! (I hope I remember the name, it was a pastry filled with cheese, poppy seeds, walnuts, or other delights).

I can't say enough nice things about my visit to your country.

Don't know if this counts but my wife is of Hungarian descent. Beautiful people. Especially my sweety.

Her family came to Canada after the war. Many tragic stories. The family was well to do in Hungary before the war but left for Canada with absolutely nothing.

Her dad was forced to change his name from Bokorovich (not positive about the spelling)to something sounding more North American (Burke). He was in the banking industry here and the theory was that no one would borrow money from a foreigner. Strange but true.

I have never been to Hungary but only hear great things. Maybe someday.

Dave

Hello Davidl! Unfortunately almost all hungarian families had their own tragedies during 20th century. The country was always in the way - during it's 1012 year old history - for all expansions, either it came from east or the opposite. Anyways, Hungary is country to visit, You are welcome! Thanks for Your kind words. :) Interestingly instead of finding fellow countrymen on the Forums, I find nice people making kind compliments on my country. That's very touching. Cheers... Bence

My wife's grandparents were born in Pest.

Two years ago we brought my mother-in-law to Budapest for her 80th birthday.

I loved Budapest, the people are extremely civilized, the city is full of good places to eat and wonderful music (even many of the street musicians were very talented). We took the trolleys, subway, and buses and got all around the town with no problem. The people we met were very kind to us and treated us like welcome guests. We saw most of the required sites, the art museums, historical museums, Franz List's house, Churches, Synagogues, Parliament Building (saw the Dalai Lama arrive while we were touring), Margaret Island, Danube bend, and everything but the baths (Leilani's mom has Parkinson's and the day we had plans for the Baths she wasn't doing very well - the airline lost her luggage and she was running out of medication).

We were even lucky enough to attend a concert by the Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra featuring one of my favorite romantic era pieces of music, Dvorak's Symphony #9. The orchestra did a fantastic job with the music, and the audience was much more respectful of the music and the orchestra than any American audience I've ever seen. It was the highlight of the vacation.

My mother-in-law was delighted with the traditional foods that tasted like her mother made it and went on a search for the perfect Ratesh -- and found it! (I hope I remember the name, it was a pastry filled with cheese, poppy seeds, walnuts, or other delights).

I can't say enough nice things about my visit to your country.

Hello Notes_Norton! If You come again be my guest for a plate of "rétes"! :) Cheers... Bence

I call my wife Hun and she's a Gibson fan-does that count?

My forebears are from Bavaria which became part of Germany, which is self described by the Otto Von Bismark as the 'Huns'. Does that count?

Seriously, what countries do you consider 'East Middle European'?

Hello TommyK! I meant countries formerly on the eastern side of the iron curtain: Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, and Albania. Bavaria (Bayern) is (West)-Germany which was on the "other side" during the cold war. Great place, been there many times. :) Cheers... Bence

Hello TommyK! I meant countries formerly on the eastern side of the iron curtain: Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, and Albania. Bavaria (Bayern) is (West)-Germany which was on the "other side" during the cold war. Great place, been there many times. :) Cheers... Bence

Then count me as a Hun! My people came from North West Bavaria, near Aschaffenburg.

Then count me as a Hun! My people came from North West Bavaria, near Aschaffenburg.

Well then I can count you in as a fellow Bavarina so to sat!

I am from Munich before I became Canadian.

Oktoberfest rules!

God bless our late King Ludwig and our beer.

Well then I can count you in as a fellow Bavarina so to sat!

I am from Munich before I became Canadian.

Oktoberfest rules!

God bless our late King Ludwig and our beer.

Hello Dc3c46! Münich is a fantastic place! My father used to work there (Anzinger straße 1.) for company called Waltham. We have spent many times there, mostly in Münchner Hofbräuhaus. [biggrin] Cheers... Bence

I've seen 'Balaton by night'...

does it count ?

In the small village I live (in Southern Germany) many people are 'refugees' (after WW-II)

most of them have been residents of Etyek,

my uncle was born in Budaörs

Welcome! By the way, good that You've mentioned Etyek. It's a village we are very proud of. The world's finest Chardonnay is produced there (OK, I'm biased a bit - just a bit). Right now I'm sitting two miles from Budaörs. :) Cheers... Bence

Archived